general vidya discussion

Saltimbanco

unhinged lunatic
Hellovan Onion
Breath of the Wild is really fun for a couple of days, but it gets pretty repetitive. I got past the Zora boss and kinda lost interest. It also doesn't really feel like a Zelda game at all. The dungeon in particular are disappointing though cool looking. It sorta plays like someone made Elder Scrolls with Shadow of the Colossus mechanics and then copypasta'd a bunch of content.

Super Mario Odyssey is fucking amazing and the new Smash is good. Wanna try the new Paper Mario, maybe it'll be good again....
breath of the wild is flaming trash and if you like it, you have an unironic brain disability. The game runs at like 20fps at most on switch, you must be handicapped to enjoy.
I'll be frank with the both of you. I don't know much about the game aside from it being an open-world Zelda title that I've heard plenty of good things about. I think I'm going to buy the remaster of Baldur's Gate because I mostly use the Switch while exercising and I need something engaging to make the minutes fly by faster.

Boingotango

Hellovan Onion
I'll be frank with the both of you. I don't know much about the game aside from it being an open-world Zelda title that I've heard plenty of good things about. I think I'm going to buy the remaster of Baldur's Gate because I mostly use the Switch while exercising and I need something engaging to make the minutes fly by faster.

Baldur's Gate is a good choice, I think they might have Planescape as well.

Larry Bundy Sr

'Ello you!
Remarkable Onion
It also doesn't really feel like a Zelda game at all.

It sorta plays like someone made Elder Scrolls with Shadow of the Colossus mechanics

That's why it's good. I'm glad the days of every new Zelda game being an Ocarina clone are finally over with, that shit lasted way way way too long. Breath of the Wild feels more like a spiritual successor to Zelda 1 than anything, in that the game's open-ended and lets you explore and figure stuff out for yourself. Not to mention, it's not glitchy at all, somehow. No whacked-out physics, falling through floors, or any of the kind of stuff that happens in Bethesda games. And that's even with how you're given a bunch of tools to play with the physics engine, what with so many puzzles relying on you to solve them with said tools.

The game runs at like 20fps at most on switch, you must be handicapped to enjoy.

Did you stuff your Switch's fan vent full of cotton balls? I got a pretty stable 30fps without many dips at all.

Mike Stoklasa Simp

Remarkable Onion
I'm not interested in many new games either, but I'm just as hard up to find these amazing indie games that everyone talks about.
Hangs on your taste. I like pretentious artsy bullshit and I'm pretty lenient on gameplay when games do something more in that angle. I've ironically enjoyed Omori and Spiritfarer, for example, even if the latter goes on for a bit too long. Even something that's barely a game like Detention I really like, though Pathologic 2 and Disco Elysium are definitely my big indie winners. Hollow Knight also looks good, but I've yet to play it.

Beyond that, I've filled my flex time with shit like Age of Empires 2 HD and the original Dawn of War games. I just learned that there's supposedly a pretty good fix to a PC port of Silent Hill 2 that I might hunt around for in the coastal, swarthy regions.

Boingotango

Hellovan Onion
That's why it's good. I'm glad the days of every new Zelda game being an Ocarina clone are finally over with, that shit lasted way way way too long. Breath of the Wild feels more like a spiritual successor to Zelda 1 than anything, in that the game's open-ended and lets you explore and figure stuff out for yourself. Not to mention, it's not glitchy at all, somehow. No whacked-out physics, falling through floors, or any of the kind of stuff that happens in Bethesda games. And that's even with how you're given a bunch of tools to play with the physics engine, what with so many puzzles relying on you to solve them with said tools.

Did you stuff your Switch's fan vent full of cotton balls? I got a pretty stable 30fps without many dips at all.

Times 5 isn't power enough. I have to go Tismken x10.

images.jpg

Breath of the Wild is an okay game. Just that though. It feels unfinished to me. Almost like a beta release. I get what they were going for with the art style, somewhere between Twilight Princess and Windwaker but it doesn't look... done, I guess? The enemies add to this. They're lazy. Every new area is a reskin of the same tired ass mobs you saw in the last area. Oh, you're in the ice place. Look! The mage is blue now! It doesn't feel very exciting. They even fucking added land octoroks.

The areas themselves are kind of lackluster. I expect to feel a certain sense of wonder and mystique from the areas in a Zelda game. A desire to explore and look for secrets. This just feels generic and I want to get my quests and fuck off. On that note though: secrets. These games usually have lots of fun hidden stuff. This one? You just stumble on shit constantly for your lame ass collection. If you do happen to lose your way while exploring these terribly interesting landscapes, don't worry. You can now use quest trackers. The Sheikah slate is just a fucking iPhone and is a lazy immersion breaking cheap mechanic whose only purpose is to appeal to children and help make this game more like every triple A title I've ever played. Sure, you can tell me about how it totally fits the technology theme they are going with, but we both know goddamn well that they just wanted to give a link a tablet, number one for the novelty of it, and number two so they don't actually think of an interesting explanation and is instead the catch-all device for anything link can do.

The beasts instead of temples sucks too. THEY ARE SO FUCKING SHORT. I do kinda like the idea of being able to like gain access to function of the beasts to beat it. I like that concept, but all the puzzles I found were complete baby mode. I went to the Water Temple first expecting something challenging, but instead it's Baby Dumbo's First Dungeon. The weapons system is trash. The novelty of always being able to get new weapons is fun at first, but I'd rather just be able to use my neat weapons when I wanted to and not constantly have to farm for them. It hits hard how lame this game is once you realize it is an open world collectathon. Sure, other Zelda games had collection systems but this one seems excessive with it. Like it's just padding for what is otherwise a really short game.

The food system was pretty neat at first, but just became a chore to complete, like much of the rest of the game does. The sidequests feel underpar to even Skyrim's generic cut and paste New Bethesda cookie cutter quests.

It'd be fine as anything but a Zelda game. It's just a bunch of busywork to distract from how lackluster the rest of the game really is.

Larry Bundy Sr

'Ello you!
Remarkable Onion
Times 5 isn't power enough. I have to go Tismken x10.

View attachment 5229

Breath of the Wild is an okay game. Just that though. It feels unfinished to me. Almost like a beta release. I get what they were going for with the art style, somewhere between Twilight Princess and Windwaker but it doesn't look... done, I guess? The enemies add to this. They're lazy. Every new area is a reskin of the same tired ass mobs you saw in the last area. Oh, you're in the ice place. Look! The mage is blue now! It doesn't feel very exciting. They even fucking added land octoroks.

The areas themselves are kind of lackluster. I expect to feel a certain sense of wonder and mystique from the areas in a Zelda game. A desire to explore and look for secrets. This just feels generic and I want to get my quests and fuck off. On that note though: secrets. These games usually have lots of fun hidden stuff. This one? You just stumble on shit constantly for your lame ass collection. If you do happen to lose your way while exploring these terribly interesting landscapes, don't worry. You can now use quest trackers. The Sheikah slate is just a fucking iPhone and is a lazy immersion breaking cheap mechanic whose only purpose is to appeal to children and help make this game more like every triple A title I've ever played. Sure, you can tell me about how it totally fits the technology theme they are going with, but we both know goddamn well that they just wanted to give a link a tablet, number one for the novelty of it, and number two so they don't actually think of an interesting explanation and is instead the catch-all device for anything link can do.

The beasts instead of temples sucks too. THEY ARE SO FUCKING SHORT. I do kinda like the idea of being able to like gain access to function of the beasts to beat it. I like that concept, but all the puzzles I found were complete baby mode. I went to the Water Temple first expecting something challenging, but instead it's Baby Dumbo's First Dungeon. The weapons system is trash. The novelty of always being able to get new weapons is fun at first, but I'd rather just be able to use my neat weapons when I wanted to and not constantly have to farm for them. It hits hard how lame this game is once you realize it is an open world collectathon. Sure, other Zelda games had collection systems but this one seems excessive with it. Like it's just padding for what is otherwise a really short game.

The food system was pretty neat at first, but just became a chore to complete, like much of the rest of the game does. The sidequests feel underpar to even Skyrim's generic cut and paste New Bethesda cookie cutter quests.

It'd be fine as anything but a Zelda game. It's just a bunch of busywork to distract from how lackluster the rest of the game really is.
There's nothing I can really say that doesn't just boil down to either "well, I liked it"; "I had no problem with it"; or "Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man". The dungeons were too short? There were like 120 of them and they were all single puzzles and they were punchy and satisfying and you could knock them out in any order. I don't like longer dungeons like in Ocarina, so that fixes that. It's an "open world collectathon"? It's an open world game where you can go any direction and find useful stuff and random puzzles. If you feel compelled to collect everything, you are doing it wrong.

I thought it was one of the best games I've ever played, easily in my top 5, and I've never played a game that better captures the essence of fun, free exploration. Other Zelda games have an obnoxious loop of Link meeting random people who tell him exactly what to do, with often no other way forward than to do whatever it is he's instructed to do, with a world structured in such a way that he's blocked off from going where he wants because of arbitrary bullshit, and lengthy, serpentine dungeons where the quality's a mixed bag. For a series that was originally structured on exploration, they sure did axe most of the exploration aspect for most of the series, to the point where I had just written off the entire Zelda series as just a terrible franchise for nearly 20 years (Oracles was ok). But, Breath of the Wild not just fixed everything I didn't like about Zelda, but also managed to become one of the best games I've ever played, and made up for disappointment after disappointment with the series.

Like seriously, it's pretty damn hilarious that they put out one game, Twilight Princess, that was barely playable due to having to wiggle the controller just to swing your sword, with no option to use a standard controller, and the entire game was mirrored because most people are right handed and Link's a lefty. If you want a proper, comfortably playable version of the game, you had to buy the version for the older system, with no indication of that whatsoever when it was new. Also the older version had a much smaller release, and subsequently became valuable and somewhat rare once the word got out. To this day, only one remake was ever released, but it was for the Wii U, lol. So if ever I wanted to play it, I'd have to pirate a game I already bought, and on launch day, at that. Or just put up with waggle, but lmao fuck that

Last edited:

Rei

Registered
Did anyone else watch the Nintendo Direct? What did you think? Personally I’m pretty happy. Skyward Sword HD & Splatoon 3 are what I’m looking forward to the most, but ‘Project Triangle Strategy’ looks interesting as well.

Last edited:

Glownigger

Registered
It was meh.

Only good things were Skyward Sword you can play w/o shitty ass motion controls and No More Heroes 3

Project Triangle Strategy looks like another Final Fantasy Tactics clone

Free Mario Items are good in Animal Crossing I guess

A game where you fly and defeat enemies with the power of cards?

Pyra who?

Don't care about Mario Goof

I'm not a kid and I don't want to be a squid

Nobody cares about your shitty dodgeball game EA.

Boingotango

Hellovan Onion
There's nothing I can really say that doesn't just boil down to either "well, I liked it"; "I had no problem with it"; or "Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man". The dungeons were too short? There were like 120 of them and they were all single puzzles and they were punchy and satisfying and you could knock them out in any order. I don't like longer dungeons like in Ocarina, so that fixes that. It's an "open world collectathon"? It's an open world game where you can go any direction and find useful stuff and random puzzles. If you feel compelled to collect everything, you are doing it wrong.

I thought it was one of the best games I've ever played, easily in my top 5, and I've never played a game that better captures the essence of fun, free exploration. Other Zelda games have an obnoxious loop of Link meeting random people who tell him exactly what to do, with often no other way forward than to do whatever it is he's instructed to do, with a world structured in such a way that he's blocked off from going where he wants because of arbitrary bullshit, and lengthy, serpentine dungeons where the quality's a mixed bag. For a series that was originally structured on exploration, they sure did axe most of the exploration aspect for most of the series, to the point where I had just written off the entire Zelda series as just a terrible franchise for nearly 20 years (Oracles was ok). But, Breath of the Wild not just fixed everything I didn't like about Zelda, but also managed to become one of the best games I've ever played, and made up for disappointment after disappointment with the series.

Yeah, that makes sense it's the Zelda game for people who don't like Zelda games.

Well I do agree that it benefits greatly from being open world and being able to do things in the order that you want, it just really lacks varied unique content. Too much of it is repetitive. After about 25 of those "dungeons" i was done. I was refering to the Temples, or the Giant Mechanical animal things being too short.

While you are correct on Zelda being based in exploration, you seem to forget it was also based on Dungeon Crawling as well. And the game could've really benefited from having actual dungeons that were actually challenging and had secrets and exploring opportunities of its own. Ya know maybe with some unique enemies. I can't believe they made an Open World game, then didn't bother to make interesting enemies for it, or hell just recycling every previous Zelda game enemies and putting them in would've worked a lot better than these constant waves of Goblins who might be slightly different colored.
We could've done with about 50 of those repetitive Temples where you go play portal for 5 minutes and unlock the secret chest. I mean I thought they were really cool at first, but after I did about 20 or 30 of those temples, I was pretty much done.

It has the bones, and I'll be interested to see how they improve on this formula, but I'd really like to see more emphasize on better combat and less cookie cutter content.
Like seriously, it's pretty damn hilarious that they put out one game, Twilight Princess, that was barely playable due to having to wiggle the controller just to swing your sword, with no option to use a standard controller, and the entire game was mirrored because most people are right handed and Link's a lefty. If you want a proper, comfortably playable version of the game, you had to buy the version for the older system, with no indication of that whatsoever when it was new. Also the older version had a much smaller release, and subsequently became valuable and somewhat rare once the word got out. To this day, only one remake was ever released, but it was for the Wii U, lol. So if ever I wanted to play it, I'd have to pirate a game I already bought, and on launch day, at that. Or just put up with waggle, but lmao fuck that

Hey retard, get it on the Gamecube. The wii controller is no way for a man to play games. Twilight Princess was last good Zelda game, so I'd definitely give it a try. If nothing else the story and cinematics are really cool.

MooseGump

Remarkable Onion
Twilight Princess more like Boring Princess, where's Wind Waker ported from the gamecube version

or just let Capcom make another 2D game for shits and giggles, fuck it

Larry Bundy Sr

'Ello you!
Remarkable Onion
While you are correct on Zelda being based in exploration, you seem to forget it was also based on Dungeon Crawling as well. And the game could've really benefited from having actual dungeons that were actually challenging and had secrets and exploring opportunities of its own. Ya know maybe with some unique enemies. I can't believe they made an Open World game, then didn't bother to make interesting enemies for it, or hell just recycling every previous Zelda game enemies and putting them in would've worked a lot better than these constant waves of Goblins who might be slightly different colored.

I really can't argue that enemy variety was lacking, though the ones they had were pretty good. But it weighed heavily on what amounted to pallette-swapped damage sponges, like those white goblins that weren't exactly tough, but more just bigger pains in the ass by the time they come along.

Hey retard, get it on the Gamecube. The wii controller is no way for a man to play games. Twilight Princess was last good Zelda game, so I'd definitely give it a try. If nothing else the story and cinematics are really cool.

My point on Zelda: TP for my bunghole was that they didn't even include an option to use a Gamecube or Classic controller with the Wii version, which was a scummy thing to do. It's the only time I've ever heard of a game being released on two generations at once, where the newer gen's version is flat-out inferior. And it's kinda fucked that there wasn't much of a stink about it, either, with the common response not being something like "Nintendo was in the wrong, they should have patched in controller support", but instead,
Hey retard, get it on the Gamecube.

Plus, it'll undoubtedly get a Switch port at some point.

Boingotango

Hellovan Onion
I really can't argue that enemy variety was lacking, though the ones they had were pretty good. But it weighed heavily on what amounted to pallette-swapped damage sponges, like those white goblins that weren't exactly tough, but more just bigger pains in the ass by the time they come along.

My point on Zelda: TP for my bunghole was that they didn't even include an option to use a Gamecube or Classic controller with the Wii version, which was a scummy thing to do. It's the only time I've ever heard of a game being released on two generations at once, where the newer gen's version is flat-out inferior. And it's kinda fucked that there wasn't much of a stink about it, either, with the common response not being something like "Nintendo was in the wrong, they should have patched in controller support", but instead,

Plus, it'll undoubtedly get a Switch port at some point.

Oh, actually, that's a good point on the wii version. Come to think of it, I ended up waiting years to get a wii for this very reason. The wii did that kind of thing with a lot of things. Sure the novelty of the controller is neat for about 5 seconds. Mostly just for aiming the bow or something, but I want a REAL controller 99% of the time. As a side note, I was EXTREMELY pissed when I did finally get a Wii, because by then they had started making them WITHOUT FUCKING GAMECUBE PORTS! So I had to go and fucking buy one of their gay little Wii Gamepad controllers to be able to play anything. Only good thing about Wii was that I could stick just about any emulator on that motherfucker and play it.

Every generation after PS2/Gamecube/Xbox has been a SEVERE decline in quality and have not really been worth buying, except for 2 or 3 games MAX.

Mario

Mamamia
Hellovan Onion
This one person is trying to remake Yu-Gi-oh Duelist of the Rose. I was surprised since I loved that game for the PS2 but never really heard about it from other people. Just hope Konami doesn't file a warning for copyright infringement since I would like to play it.

Boingotango

Hellovan Onion
This one person is trying to remake Yu-Gi-oh Duelist of the Rose. I was surprised since I loved that game for the PS2 but never really heard about it from other people. Just hope Konami doesn't file a warning for copyright infringement since I would like to play it.

That's awesome. Duelist of the Roses was bitching my wife got me hooked on it for awhile and the multiplayer was fun.

wtfeasymode

this game sucks
Remarkable Onion
I've been thinking of getting back to one of the earlier monster hunter titles that i've been playing besides rise and i'm wondering if i should pick Generations Ultimate, Freedom Unite 1 and 2, or 3 or 4 ultimate.