What is your favorite retro console/game?

Favorite retro console

• NES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SMS

• Genesis

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • SNES

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • PS1

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Saturn

• N64

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • DC

• PS2

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • GC

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters
Subtitle
'member?

Cavalier Cipolla

Onion Knight...on Onionfarms!
Baby Onion
The "successor" that only had five or so games and was quickly discontinued, while the console it was "succeeding" continued to get made?
Yes, exactly that. It has real good hardware. In some regards it overshadows both the SNES and Megadrive. The SuperGrafx has an additional VDC that overlays its output on the first VDC. This gives it another background layer and twice the amount of sprites per scanline and at all.

The stock PC Engine can do 256 pixels of sprites per scanline. Sounds good enough, but the stock PC Engine can do just over 512 pixels of horizontal resolution, so you can only fill the screen with sprites when the lowest resolution is used. The SuperGrafx can fill even a 512 pixel screen with sprites. Or alternatively, you can just use one sprite layer as the 3rd background layer if dealing with 256 pixel wide video, which decisively beats the Megadrive's VDP.

The audio is still kinda trash tho, only a small step up from the NES, sounding pretty much like some early 80s Namco arcade games.

nobodyworthwhile

Baby Onion
@Cavalier Cipolla I mean, that's all cool and all, but when dealing with a retro console ultimately what matters is "does it have the games I want to play?"

Not long ago I owned a Neo-Geo... but sold it because I wasn't interested in most of its library. But I still have my Turbo, because I do love that thing (and the TG16 is something I have a personal attachment to, whereas the Neo-Geo for me is more like a cool novelty).

The topic question is hard for me to answer. The knob in my head is always changing--sometimes I'm more SNES, sometimes Genesis, sometines NES, sometimes TG16... and in my head those four consoles are the "main" ones, because my brain can't adjust to it not being 1995 anymore.... and then I just never stuck with gaming much after that. I do like the Playstation 1 and 2 but for me they're more like something I occasionally return to, rather than something I have any strong thoughts about.

Cavalier Cipolla

Onion Knight...on Onionfarms!
Baby Onion
@Cavalier Cipolla I mean, that's all cool and all, but when dealing with a retro console ultimately what matters is "does it have the games I want to play?"

Not long ago I owned a Neo-Geo... but sold it because I wasn't interested in most of its library. But I still have my Turbo, because I do love that thing (and the TG16 is something I have a personal attachment to, whereas the Neo-Geo for me is more like a cool novelty).

The topic question is hard for me to answer. The knob in my head is always changing--sometimes I'm more SNES, sometimes Genesis, sometines NES, sometimes TG16... and in my head those four consoles are the "main" ones, because my brain can't adjust to it not being 1995 anymore.... and then I just never stuck with gaming much after that. I do like the Playstation 1 and 2 but for me they're more like something I occasionally return to, rather than something I have any strong thoughts about.
Daimakaimura is one game worth playing on the SuperGrafX.
But the best part about the SuperGrafX today is...you can now make homebrew games to give the system better justice! Cartridge space is a non issue nowadays, so you could easily use 512 pixel graphics for the main gameplay without running out of memory.

nobodyworthwhile

Baby Onion
Daimakaimura is one game worth playing on the SuperGrafX.
But the best part about the SuperGrafX today is...you can now make homebrew games to give the system better justice! Cartridge space is a non issue nowadays, so you could easily use 512 pixel graphics for the main gameplay without running out of memory.
Just imagine if you could time travel back and start your own game company and release a lot of these modern games back in the day.

Though I'm not 100% sure I'd like to do that. I often fantasize about time travel but I think if I ever did I would have a rule against changing anything before 2012, unless I had an easy way to press the reset button.

Ling Xiaoyu

Registered
My personal #1 favorite retro system is the Super Nintendo/Super Famicom. A lot of games on that system that I enjoy started out as fan translated versions of Japan only titles, such as Trials of Mana, The Romancing SaGa trilogy, Final Fantasy V, and Bahamut Lagoon. But I also like titles such as Super Metroid, Secret of Mana, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Donkey Kong country trilogy, Act Raiser, Final Fantasy IV/FFIIUSA, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma.

Other systems I enjoy, are the NES/Famicom, Original Playstation, Sega Dreamcast, and Playstation 2. The Sega Dreamcast, Playstation systems and arcades got me into such titles as Tekken series and Soulcalibur series.

I would go on and on about personal favorites, but I don't want to clog the board with tl;dr. So I am going off to play some oldies.

BurnerAccount333

Straightest Gay
Hellovan Onion
My personal #1 favorite retro system is the Super Nintendo/Super Famicom. A lot of games on that system that I enjoy started out as fan translated versions of Japan only titles, such as Trials of Mana, The Romancing SaGa trilogy, Final Fantasy V, and Bahamut Lagoon. But I also like titles such as Super Metroid, Secret of Mana, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, Donkey Kong country trilogy, Act Raiser, Final Fantasy IV/FFIIUSA, Illusion of Gaia and Terranigma.

Other systems I enjoy, are the NES/Famicom, Original Playstation, Sega Dreamcast, and Playstation 2. The Sega Dreamcast, Playstation systems and arcades got me into such titles as Tekken series and Soulcalibur series.

I would go on and on about personal favorites, but I don't want to clog the board with tl;dr. So I am going off to play some oldies.
A lot fun games. I like to play a lot RPGs myself, and there's a charm to them I don't see in recent games.
It feels me joy that if I wanted to play a new rpg game every day I'd still probably still have plenty of games I couldn't play before my death.

nobodyworthwhile

Baby Onion
A lot fun games. I like to play a lot RPGs myself, and there's a charm to them I don't see in recent games.
It feels me joy that if I wanted to play a new rpg game every day I'd still probably still have plenty of games I couldn't play before my death.
There's a blog I recently ran across where the blogger made a compelling argument that RPGs basically started going downhill around the PS1 era. Here's the post. Go there and tell him what you think.

Recently this guy has also been posting "progress reports" playing Phantasy Star II, as well.

GloryHole Stalker

Man of Questionable Taste
Baby Onion
If it was a choice on the poll, I would have picked the Neo Geo. in the 90's all I mostly played was fighting and sports games. the NG was well covered in the FG dept, not as much on sports, but I still log plenty of time on Baseball Stars 2.

Otherwise, it's the Sega Genesis, mostly for it's sports titles.