• The best Kiwifarms splinter site on the internet
    All races, religions and political orientations are welcome.
    Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (Male, female, gay, straight. cis, trans) we don't care.
    If you can swing with a pack of gremlins on the Onionfarms, you are one of us.
  • Restoring Deleted Thread:

I am in the process of restoring a backup on a temporary subdomain to see if the thread might be on there. The backup is from the 27th. Downloading Complete

The Hyena Men of Nigeria

Pyro-Hedgie128

Registered
The cop got what he deserved you know. Bad cops don't discriminate on race, they will abuse their power on anyone. It pays to have friends in high places.

【VOID】

Retired Staff
How can any idiot think of having a hyena as a pet?
With selective breeding Hyenas could probably be domesticated. The Russians did it with foxes way back in the day.

I'd like a domesticated Hyena tbh. Truth be told, I think that endangered animals should be selectively bred for domestication so that people can keep them as pets eventually.
Like lions. Release the aggressive offspring back into the wild, keep the more timid/trusting offspring. Breed the timid/trusting of humans offspring with each other, repeat until domesticated, that way the line would never go extinct and could be selectively bred again for aggression if the wild population ever went extinct. I don't know why we're not doing this. I want dangerous animals for pets.

Deleted member 1141

Going to have to disagree with you on Nigeria. Namibia has a red barrel, a green barrel, and a blue barrel. @Three
Finding the three drums of Namibia remains a highlight of my recently-started quest to learn geography.
1666796027698.png
1666795976727.png
1666796198495.png

Besides the actual famous barrels, I guess the skeleton coast is famous for these other kind of barrels. And shipwrecks. If I were less Steppe-adapted, I might understand his a bit better, but it looks pretty badass. Like snowboarding, only with the risk of drowning and sharks!

@Sailfish have you visited Namibia?

Kenneth Erwin Engelhardt

Owner
Global Administrator
With selective breeding Hyenas could probably be domesticated. The Russians did it with foxes way back in the day.

I'd like a domesticated Hyena tbh. Truth be told, I think that endangered animals should be selectively bred for domestication so that people can keep them as pets eventually.
Like lions. Release the aggressive offspring back into the wild, keep the more timid/trusting offspring. Breed the timid/trusting of humans offspring with each other, repeat until domesticated, that way the line would never go extinct and could be selectively bred again for aggression if the wild population ever went extinct. I don't know why we're not doing this. I want dangerous animals for pets.
In general, wild animals on grasslands of Africa cannot be domesticated. They tried that with Zebras over a century ago. It failed. Even among Zebras that have been habituated they are unstable and can't be trusted. It's in their DNA and it can't be bred out of them. It's a product of their environment because you have predators everywhere in plain sight. Domesticate a Cape Buffalo? Good luck with that one. It is nicknamed the "Widow Maker" among big game hunters. They have a savage nature that makes it impossible to domesticate. The Silver foxes in the fox farm experiment were obtained from fur farms and were already calmer than their wild counterparts.

cybertron

Remarkable Onion
Live stream (webcam) from the Namib Desert, Namibia :

Complementing the magnificence of the Namib Desert’s never-ending red sand dunes, Namibia Cam’s waterhole lies within the Gondwana Namib Park - bordering the Namib Naukluft Park. In this park, all man-made barriers have been removed, creating a space over 56,540 square kilometers (meaning 21,830 sq mi) - wildlife moves freely between the two parks and the other privately owned guest farms. In Gondwana Namib Park the Namib experience covers two sides. Three, in fact, as under the reddish sand there is brown sandstone – the fossilised dunes of an ancient Namib. Then there is the World Heritage Site of ‘Namib Sand Sea’, and only 60 km further south, the Namib shows yet another face: the valley of the ephemeral Tsauchab River – which cuts through the surging sand-sea and ends in famed Sossusvlei. But along with the fossilised dunes, Namib Sand Sea and Tsauchab River, a glorious new display has risen. Built in 2006, the special character of this waterhole, has not only an impact on the surrounding wildlife, but stretches across the globe, from home to home. This particular waterhole is situated within an open plain, 8km from Namib Desert Lodge. A solar-powered borehole fills a nearby reservoir and is monitored by a water float that opens as the waterhole’s levels decline. Being situated within a remote destination like the Namib Desert, intermittent interruptions are likely to occur at times.