Shit takes on literature?

The Gays From LA

The Gays From LA Took My K.Flay Away
Hellovan Onion
This isn't exactly a take on literature, because AFAIK people only came out with this bullshit SJW take due to the film adaptation, but really...

As I pointed out on KF at the time the movie came out, the name "Atreides" is lifted from the Greek tragedy of Orestes and Cassandra, who belong to the tragic family line of Atreus or Atreides. By naming the family of his main character "The House of Atreides", Herbert meant to signal (to those who know their classics) that his main character is going to be a tragic character. So no, Paul was definitely not set up to be a "white saviour", he was rather set up to be a tragic fallen hero.

nobodyworthwhile

Baby Onion
Ah then fair enough.

Yeah you get it. God it's so strange to think I miss when everyone just made theories on how batman is actually gay instead of all the current media analysis now.
One thing that probably makes the "so-and-so is gay" thing more palatable in hindsight is the reason for it was obvious--girls wrote fanfiction where they wanted to see two men bang. Any moralfagging they did was a transparent cover for getting their jollies off.

I would also argue that "gay" readings just inherentlly make more sense, because homo behavior has been around since ancient times. Trans behavior has not. There's no reason to believe an author from the 1980s or even 1990s had ever even heard of transexuals unless they made a reference to them in their own work (or happened to be Rocky Horror Picture Show fans, which was the only place I had ever heard of it for a long time. And I remember back then people said a transexual was just a fancy term for a crossdresser).

nobodyworthwhile

Baby Onion
This isn't exactly a take on literature, because AFAIK people only came out with this bullshit SJW take due to the film adaptation, but really...

As I pointed out on KF at the time the movie came out, the name "Atreides" is lifted from the Greek tragedy of Orestes and Cassandra, who belong to the tragic family line of Atreus or Atreides. By naming the family of his main character "The House of Atreides", Herbert meant to signal (to those who know their classics) that his main character is going to be a tragic character. So no, Paul was definitely not set up to be a "white saviour", he was rather set up to be a tragic fallen hero.
Youtubers basically don't know literature, period.

I forgoet if I mentioned this guy already but there's this one Youtuber named Dominic Noble who reviews books and their movie adaptations.... and pretty much, every time he opens his mouth he shows he didn't understand a damn thing. He also unironically parrots myths and talking points.

Two of my favorites:

In one of his Hobbit videos he unironically claimed "Tolkien had a rule against women using swords."

In one of his Narnia videos he parrots the myth that Susan was barred from Narnia for "wearing makeup and having a social life."

Unsurprisingly, this youtuber is a massive SJW. If you don't mind getting cancer, here's one of his worst videos: