Twitter now requires an account to view tweets

Subtitle
Elon Musk doing more retarded things on Twitter

onionfarts

Baby Onion
In case you were wondering why you can't check Twitter now, and since Twitter doesn't even announce these things, so it just seems like another glitch on their badly-coded website:
techcrunch.com said:
If you’re not logged into your Twitter account and try to view a tweet, you’ll be presented with a sign-in screen. And if you don’t want to have an account on the bird app, too bad!

Twitter hasn’t commented on this change, and given how sloppy the platform has been since Elon Musk’s takeover, it might just be a glitch. However, in a time when Twitter is struggling to grow its user base, it’s possible that this is a tactic to force silent lurkers into creating an account.

Like many of Twitter’s recent changes, this could easily backfire. If tweets aren’t publicly accessible, search engine algorithms could rank the site’s content lower, meaning that fewer people would be directed to the site from Google. Also, it’s just kind of annoying.

Musk — who is no longer CEO of Twitter, but still deeply involved in operations — may also be motivated by a desire to prevent AI tools from searching Twitter. Musk has previously admonished Microsoft, which dropped Twitter from its advertising platform, by saying: “They trained illegally using Twitter data. Lawsuit time.”

As new CEO Linda Yaccarino settles into her new role, Twitter has remained riddled with technical errors. Earlier this week, a disproportionate amount of users were notified that they had been suspended for three days due to spam. We’re still not sure what happened there (and Twitter won’t answer our emails), but with Musk in the C-suite, policies can change faster than you can say “$44 billion,” so anything’s possible.
Personally, if I can't view Twits without an account then that site is dead to me. Too much hassle.

onionfarts

Baby Onion
🤡🏳️‍🌈Twitter Update🏳️‍🌈🤡 He took 24 hours to figure out how to make it worse:

Fz94VMFWwAIGGiU.jpg

Perhaps he's trolling. Perhaps he's just an idiot businessman who is good at flushing $50 billion down the toilet and can't make money without government subsidies and backroom deals.

Definitely not something you want to do if you want more hits on twitter.
He doesn't want more hits though. He said he wants less hits. Verwy smurt beessness deecisiuns for a CEO President and CTO in the IT industry.

onionfarts

Baby Onion
Who on earth needs to read 600 tweets a day, let alone 6000?
It must count scrolling past or glancing at tweets in feeds and threads as 'reading' them. Often a popular Tweet will have like 20 replies, and each of those replies counts as an individual Tweet. It's really more of a problem if you're viewing a lot of Tweets without really 'reading' most of them, like trying to find something particular or just browsing.

Supposedly Twitter has already relaxed these restrictions slightly though, if the gossip I read on KF is to be believed. If you don't want to make an account then you're still out of luck though, unless you find a third party website that works. Twitter killed nitter.net, which seemed to be the most popular and convenient one (it was easier to use than Twitter's own website, actually).

Last edited:

ecto_chasm

Baby Onion
In case you were wondering why you can't check Twitter now, and since Twitter doesn't even announce these things, so it just seems like another glitch on their badly-coded website:

Personally, if I can't view Twits without an account then that site is dead to me. Too much hassle.
it’s been a long time coming but Musk is straight up speedrunning Twitter’s destruction. what a fucking clown.

TheNotRealAsh

Literally Ashley Hutsell Jankowski Address in my banner
Hellovan Onion

It should of always been dead to you. It's Twitter.