Technology The GNU/Gentoo Linux Thread

Technical Related Threads

SIGBUS

null did not troon out in 2021
Remarkable Onion
What is Gentoo? As Wikipedia says:
Gentoo Linux (pronounced /ˈdʒɛntuː/ JEN-too[2]) is a Linux distribution built using the Portage package management system. Unlike a binary software distribution, the source code is compiled locally according to the user's preferences and is often optimized for the specific type of computer. Precompiled binaries are available for some larger packages or those with no available source code.
Some neat stuff exists, but is Gentoo worth it?

I'd say if you have a gigaturd pc then no. It's not gonna run very well on your centrino laptop so don't bother
If you have a decent pc that can do compiling stuff fine then go for it, just don't install the systemd versions because you are just subhuman then

some tips i'd like to give out to the newbs installing it for the first time:
  • when following the handbook's kernel config make sure to also enable the ones you want to have so you dont have to recompile it, the wiki can give you the options to select what kernel options you need for some programs like ALSA or novideo/amd graphics cards
  • add more to your USE variable for the software your gonna use like X alsa pulseaudio before emerging the @world set
  • like i said, dont use systemd. gentoo is mostly optimized for openrc and thats what you should be using you degenerate

Basil II

I, glowie
Remarkable Onion
There is literally no reason for a basic bitch x86/x64 Desktop to be running Gentoo. Especially over something like Artix which gets rid of all that systemd shit anyway.

Need For Sneed

I feel the need
Hellovan Onion
Gentoo is the distro for autists that are too autistic for basic bitch GNU/Linux distros. That said, hardcore autists would be running *BSD instead.

FaggotPuncher

Baby Onion
I'd like to just interject for a moment, what you're referring to as GNU/Linux is actually just Linux. The Free Software Foundation and the GNU Project have long since forgotten what it's like to write a program and are basically KiwiFarms's A&H. Sure, back in the early 90s putting a GNU in front of Linux would have made a bit of a sense, but not today.
clang is performing better than gcc these days and most of gnu coreutils are bloat and horribly maintained/not maintained at all. We need to rewrite the entire userland in rust.

P.S. Fuck richardo stallmanu, the big fat faggot freetard founder of GNU.