• Welcome, Notices, Content in the Spotlight

The best Kiwifarms splinter site on the internet. All Walks of life, regardless of race, religion, political orientation, sexual orientation, gender identity. if you rock with the Onions, you are one of us.

Our Onionfarms merchandise store is now open. Both Kiwis and Onions are welcome. https://onionmart.printify.me

🔎Under the Magnifying Glass - KennethErwinEngelhardt.net

Biafra: Lolcows, Terrorists, Israel, and Phone Cases on Shopify: The rabbit hole that Nigeria would rather forget.

There are some things that have long needed our attention. The video at the bottom stickes out to the right and throws it off-center. Also, there are issues with our logo being two small when accessing the forum on your mobile device.

Recommend anime & manga

naught

`he who laughs last laughs best`
Registered
(Impartial note: As opposed to what most denizens of the internet think anime & manga are a backbone of the internet, these types often spew anti animu rhetoric on imageboards based on Chinese pictures.)

Very simple, post animu & manga.
Monster anime.
Ghost in the shell: stand alone complex.
Perfect blue:
Serial experiments lain.
Chunibiyo.

Manga: junji ito.
Light novel welcome to the nhk.

naught

`he who laughs last laughs best`
Registered
boko no picu
Screenshot_20210212-081037.jpg

kiwifaggot

Not a funposter
Baby Onion
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei is the best anime ever and you can't change my mind.

Other random recs:

Lupin the III (Part 1 and 2 especially)
Space Firebird 2772
The Death Lullaby
Genshiken (Read the manga)
Abenobashi
Maria Holic
Osomatsu-san
Night on the Galactic Railroad
New Hurricane Polymar
Dream Eater Merry
Unico
The Chocolate Panic Picture Show
Panty and Stocking
Tales of a Street Corner
Cutie Honey (Re: and Original especially)

kiwifaggot

Not a funposter
Baby Onion
Panty and Stocking
Tales of a Street Corner
Cutie Honey (Re: and Original especially)

Typical.
One of those things was not like the others.

I agree with your sentiments though, the current anime market is oversaturated with moe and isekai trash. While there are still a few studios with some sense of visual identity (namely Kyoani, Shaft, and Trigger) a vast majority of them just blend into a cheap-looking bland soup of regurgitated tropes. Even the studios I like though haven't been putting out enjoyable works, they are nice looking and competently produced, but lacking any real trait worth getting invested in.

Also
>Dragon Ball Z
>Good

What a funny joke.

SSF2T Old User

No Super Combos Necessary
Hellovan Onion
Only anime I watch is anything video game related and their all in DVD format (I collect DVDs as a hobby). In fact, my collections is as follows...

Ace Attorney: Surprisingly close to the games (no Rise From The Ashes though, which sucks cause I really liked that one in the first game). I have the first two parts, and i plan on getting the second season parts in the near future.

Battle Arena Toshinden: This is loosely based off of the second game for the Playstation (Uranus is the main villain instead of Master). Unfortunately majority of the characters from that game don't appear until the very end and have only a handful of lines. It focuses more on Eiji (who is basically the Ryu of the series) who's trying to locate his his brother (the Akuma of the series) which he thinks is working for Uranus.

Fatal Fury Double Impact & The Motion Picture: Double Impact is actually 2 stories based on the first and second game respectively, while The Motion Picture is an original plot with new characters not from the games (Double Impact does this to an extent too with the love interest Terry gets). I'm not too familiar with the series in general (I'm more of a Street Fighter person than a Fatal Fury/KOF person), but I enjoyed it.

Professor Layton & The Eternal Diva: Basically what you'd get if you take out the gameplay & puzzles but kept the cutscenes. It's an original plot where Layton gets invited on a cruise ship where they have to solve puzzles on it and the island they land on in order to solve the mystery. It's also the only anime i keep the english voices for, since its the same voice actors from the game (which I find waaaaaaaay more tolerable than anything else dubbed).

Samurai Showdown: Loosely based on the first game. The copy I have is in english only with censored blood (its white instead of red) and Amakusa is a woman.

Senran Kagura: Fan service the anime. Based on the first game (the japan one, not the "Burst" one released overseas that added the Hebijo story) and has THE worst english voice acting I've ever heard. Thankfully it has subs with the original japan voice acting. Also there's no Yoma at the end and Dogen takes a more active roll as the villain.

Street Fighter (The Animated Movie): Based off of Street Fighter 2 (including the super characters and even Akuma makes a subtle cameo). Bison wants Ryu's power and lures him with Ken. Guile and ChunLi go on a wild goose chase for Shadaloo. The copy I have is the (unfortunate) PG-13 one with english dubs only (basically the version that's on the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection for the PS2)

Street Fighter Alpha (the Movie): This movie has an original plot that revolves around a boy that pretends to be Ryu's long lost brother. Also Ryu is trying to tame the evil energy inside him, the villain is original (no Bison in this movie), ChunLi went through a drastic facial change, theres no Charlie Nash, and just like Battle Arena Toshinden the majority of the roster is suddenly brought in near the end of the movie.

kiwifaggot

Not a funposter
Baby Onion
Only anime I watch is anything video game related and their all in DVD format (I collect DVDs as a hobby). In fact, my collections is as follows...

Ace Attorney: Surprisingly close to the games (no Rise From The Ashes though, which sucks cause I really liked that one in the first game). I have the first two parts, and i plan on getting the second season parts in the near future.

Battle Arena Toshinden: This is loosely based off of the second game for the Playstation (Uranus is the main villain instead of Master). Unfortunately majority of the characters from that game don't appear until the very end and have only a handful of lines. It focuses more on Eiji (who is basically the Ryu of the series) who's trying to locate his his brother (the Akuma of the series) which he thinks is working for Uranus.

Fatal Fury Double Impact & The Motion Picture: Double Impact is actually 2 stories based on the first and second game respectively, while The Motion Picture is an original plot with new characters not from the games (Double Impact does this to an extent too with the love interest Terry gets). I'm not too familiar with the series in general (I'm more of a Street Fighter person than a Fatal Fury/KOF person), but I enjoyed it.

Professor Layton & The Eternal Diva: Basically what you'd get if you take out the gameplay & puzzles but kept the cutscenes. It's an original plot where Layton gets invited on a cruise ship where they have to solve puzzles on it and the island they land on in order to solve the mystery. It's also the only anime i keep the english voices for, since its the same voice actors from the game (which I find waaaaaaaay more tolerable than anything else dubbed).

Samurai Showdown: Loosely based on the first game. The copy I have is in english only with censored blood (its white instead of red) and Amakusa is a woman.

Senran Kagura: Fan service the anime. Based on the first game (the japan one, not the "Burst" one released overseas that added the Hebijo story) and has THE worst english voice acting I've ever heard. Thankfully it has subs with the original japan voice acting. Also there's no Yoma at the end and Dogen takes a more active roll as the villain.

Street Fighter (The Animated Movie): Based off of Street Fighter 2 (including the super characters and even Akuma makes a subtle cameo). Bison wants Ryu's power and lures him with Ken. Guile and ChunLi go on a wild goose chase for Shadaloo. The copy I have is the (unfortunate) PG-13 one with english dubs only (basically the version that's on the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection for the PS2)

Street Fighter Alpha (the Movie): This movie has an original plot that revolves around a boy that pretends to be Ryu's long lost brother. Also Ryu is trying to tame the evil energy inside him, the villain is original (no Bison in this movie), ChunLi went through a drastic facial change, theres no Charlie Nash, and just like Battle Arena Toshinden the majority of the roster is suddenly brought in near the end of the movie.
Have you checked out the Darkstalkers OVAs? Their pretty fun adaptations with a dark tone and that great mid-90s feel to them. Not the most accurate adaptation, but they convey the general atmosphere of the games well enough. A good blend of neo-gothic and oriental mysticism. I think Discotek recently re-released them on DVD.

I know a lot of people make fun of fighting game OVAs for being schlocky, but the fight choreography and action in most of them are super enjoyable.

Last edited:

Mario

Mamamia
Hellovan Onion
Unless you are watching something like Akira, Dragon Ball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, or Lupin the III. Kill yourself. 90% of anime is trash, especially anything made in the last 15 years or so.
Gintiama, Vinland Saga, and Mushishi are pretty good and they were animated withing the last 15 years. Your 90% should be bumped to a 99%. Most popular media is full of 99% trash with a select few that are remarkable.
Also
>Dragon Ball Z
>Good

What a funny joke.
For all the shit that it gets Dragon ball Z was pretty good up until the end of the Cell saga. After that it went to shit mostly because it seemed to only keep on going because stopping would anger a lot of people. Dragon ball to Dragon ball Z's Cell saga is worth rewatching but anything after that isn't.

I would recommend:
Beelzebub( Anime and Manga)
The musashi series (anime)
The vinland saga (manga and anime)
Vagabond(manga)
Ouroborus(Manga)
Holyland(manga)

Last edited:

Mike Stoklasa Simp

Remarkable Onion
I don't really enjoy most modern anime. It's too competent to be quality camp, and it's too self-serious with ridiculous premises for me to get something mmmmm richer out of. I can slap on G-Gundam or YuYu Hakusho at almost any point and just enjoy the ridiculous goofiness, or I can throw on something by Satoshi Kon and deeply enjoy the trip. I'm one of those faggots that liked Welcome to the NHK quite a bit.

I'm one of those fuckos that doesn't really dig fully-escapist manga, even if I love the medium. Inio Asano is wonderful, as is Shigeru Mizuki. Yet beyond those two, I'm often drawn to one-off stuff. Yoshihiro Tatsumi's historical fiction is really interesting, as is his autobiographical block of a comic. There's a lot of Shojo shit out there that deals with grief and loss that I find nominally interesting, like Oranges or My Broken Mariko - even if they seem obligated to fuck up their stories with retardation and tropes as often as possible.

Still, I appreciate that manga is free to have a wide array of topics and themes it explores, and that it seems to have an underground that's actually innovating and exploring all on their own. This compared to the west, where any underground experimentation inevitably bleeds over into every fucking mainstream thing; I'll never get over how capeshit decided it had to be "serious" and "edgy" and bastardized the fuck out of what actual innovators were doing.

Dum Cruise

Nostalgia
Hellovan Onion
I struggle to watch anime anymore but I've watched a lot. I'd recommend Gunbuster, it's only 6 episodes and 2.5 hours, but it's Hideki Anno's first anime and acts as a more hyped up version of NGE. One of the best endings in anime. Very catchy OP too

Another good one is Kuuchuu Buranko, which is a 12 episode anime based on a series of psychological disorders in people and how they cope to deal with them. The visuals are incredibly trippy and very unique, the stories are interesting. Catchy OST too.

Tokyo Godfathers is pretty great film and often underrated in Satoshi Kon's lineup, it's wholesome fun about 3 homeless people and a baby, well worth the watch.

manga i'm currently going through:
Reading through Satoshi Kon's lesser known manga work, they're pretty cheap to pickup and a lot of the most hardcore Satoshi Kon fans don't even know he made manga. Personally I'd recommend Opus, although getting a physical copy of the 2nd volume is nearly impossible. After i'm done that i'll be reading through the Revolutionary Girl Utena manga, a shoujo with some very mature themes and lots of gays. I know the manga differs from the anime, which is likely my favourite show of all time.
20210217_063228.jpg

Boingotango

Hellovan Onion
Which arc?
Hmm, toss up between Saiyan and Namek Saga for me. Cell is close second. Buu Saga is not AS good, but is a lot of fun. Super in some respect is really cool and I really like Beerus and Multiverse concept, and Lord Xenu, but they took the direciton they took with buu saga (less serious more gag focuses, goku's IQ detoriates as vegeta's penis shrinks) and I'm not as big of a fan of that, along with SHARP animation drop. GT is GT.