Technology Programming Thread

Technical Related Threads

Azusa

Remarkable Onion
I want to learn C and C++ just to see how much I can do with stuff related to Quake Engine Games, and torturing my Windows XP Virtual Machine with ridiculous programs.
Sounds like as good a reason as any to learn those dead languages. ?‍♀️

EDIT:
siggy.png

Hey Siggy I saw on Hacker News yesterday they were talking about git's banned list of C functions, most of them to do with strings.

You know who doesn't have to worry about strings?
Rubyists and Pythonistas
:story:

Last edited:

theoreticaljew

Registered
I've been looking at C (specifically C-- and C++) for a while considering how many things I've enjoyed were coded in it. The only thing that keeps me hesitant is whether I should spend hard earned cash on classes and books for it or not. Other than that I'm also interested in Python, Javascript, and Ruby.
>C--
Based, there's not a lot of discussion for that language. When I was developing a compiler, I considered using C-- as my target language. I decided not to, as , my language wasn't high level, and there was no necessity of portability as it would only run on my machine. Still, an interesting language that the average programmer may not know about

theoreticaljew

Registered
Yeah, I remember when first doing programming I was using stuff like Python amongst other high level languages and I had no idea how anything fucking worked under the hood, to me it was just magic, which it is. I didn't know shit about memory or anything that any good programmer needs to know about to make good applications. After reading The C Programming Language I learnt a fuckton and I actually understood what the computer was doing (kind of, I don't understand what the fuck the STL is doing under the hood or what instructions GCC compiles my C code to but I've just come to the conclusion that those are the kinds of magic that you have to accept). Many people being taught programming don't understand basic programming concepts or what the fuck their code even does for that matter and I feel like it's going to drastically decrease the quality of your average programmer. Also, to anyone reading who wants to do game development, don't use Unreal Engine or Unity. You're programming your game in a way that some asshole thinks you should do it rather than what suits you. Unity and Unreal are great tools, don't get me wrong however you will NEVER UNDERSTAND WHAT THE FUCK YOUR CODE DOES, EVER.
You're a moron, and I hope you grew out of it

UF6

Less Than Zero
Registered
I have been reading through and trying to find good documentation for COBOL, but I am not sure which is book is seen as better for newcomers.