Policy on Realistic Violence, Fantasy Violence, and Having an Incident of Being a Horse's Ass

Kenneth Erwin Engelhardt

Owner
I'm your friendly neighborhood skinwalker
Okay. I am going to update the policies on violence (In other words, when should you take things seriously and when should you tell the other person to piss off).
Threats of Legitimate Violence will not be tolerated. What is "Legitimate Violence"? There are two components

Legitmate Violence
First Component
Legitimate Violence means you threaten someone with bodily harm (either a person of interest such as a lolcow, or another member/guest on this forum).
Legitimate Violence means you threaten an outside entity with harm or death such as threatening to shoot up a public place.

Second Component
The person making the threat not only has the means to enforce it but gets off on it.

If someone posts for example mentions about shooting up a public place or harming someone and then gives the impression that he/she is getting their jollies out of posting this, then you will be banned and reported. The first amendment protects a lot of things but a credible threat of harm against someone else is not protected.

Fantasy Violence
Example: I am going to kill you, blow up your character on Minecraft or whatever. On something like this, I won't consider this a credible threat. I would recommend you place someone like this on ignore. If the person goes out of his way to be a pain in the ass, talk to staff about this.

Being A Horse's Ass
Basically if you threaten violence in anger or because you got carried away in the heat of a discussion. I will probably give a short-term ban for you to cool off ( a sort of time out if you will) and I will delete the material in question from public view. I can assume the majority of posters who say stupid things in a period of anger aren't mass shooters or terrorists but there will be a small percentage of unstable individuals that we need to be concerned about. Any feedback here is welcomed.

Basil II

I, glowie
Remarkable Onion
Hopefully it would result in that user being banned and the post being removed before the feds can see it, because what I posted on KF was absolutely over the line.
my man you really just wanted josh to ban you, I don't see why you couldn't just do what I did and call him a bitch to his face.

SIGSEGV

Segmentation fault (core dumped)
An Onion Among Onions
my man you really just wanted josh to ban you, I don't see why you couldn't just do what I did and call him a bitch to his face.
I didn't want a ban actually, that post was meant to mock the doomposters who were discussing lone wolf domestic terrorism in a positive light. Unfortunately, I took the joke a bit too far and got the attention of actual feds, which is a pretty good justification for a ban.

Basil II

I, glowie
Remarkable Onion
I didn't want a ban actually, that post was meant to mock the doomposters who were discussing lone wolf domestic terrorism in a positive light. Unfortunately, I took the joke a bit too far and got the attention of actual feds, which is a pretty good justification for a ban.
If the feds have so much freetime that they're worried about shitposts on the internet I question why they really need to be around.

SIGSEGV

An Onion Among Onions
As a general rule I would give a temporary ban as a cooling off period, and remove the material in question from public view and let things quiet down again.
You're going to want to appoint some moderators to help you deal with users. It's not necessary just yet because not too many people are registered and those who are here seem well behaved, but once people really begin to pour in there's going to be too many of them for a single person to manage. I'd strongly encourage you to let the userbase nominate potential moderators while the site is still relatively small (i.e., when he hit a couple hundred members), as most of us are coming from Kiwi Farms and will already know each other. Let the people tell you who they trust to prevent Onion Farms from running into the same problems that Kiwi Farms is currently experiencing due to rampant politisperging.

Kenneth Erwin Engelhardt

Owner
You're going to want to appoint some moderators to help you deal with users. It's not necessary just yet because not too many people are registered and those who are here seem well behaved, but once people really begin to pour in there's going to be too many of them for a single person to manage. I'd strongly encourage you to let the userbase nominate potential moderators while the site is still relatively small (i.e., when he hit a couple hundred members), as most of us are coming from Kiwi Farms and will already know each other. Let the people tell you who they trust to prevent Onion Farms from running into the same problems that Kiwi Farms is currently experiencing due to rampant politisperging.
I will anticipate that in the near future when the forum reaches this limit. But in the meantime, I want to get a feel for what is comfortable with the userbase but at the same time, I want to give people the freedom to express their opinion even if others disagree.

Need For Sneed

I feel the need
Hellovan Onion
I will anticipate that in the near future when the forum reaches this limit. But in the meantime, I want to get a feel for what is comfortable with the userbase but at the same time, I want to give people the freedom to express their opinion even if others disagree.
I appreciate that you're taking a relatively hands-off approach for now. Hopefully it won't bite you or OF on the ass.

Kenneth Erwin Engelhardt

Owner
I appreciate that you're taking a relatively hands-off approach for now. Hopefully it won't bite you or OF on the ass.
As you mentioned on the Kiwifarms, I am getting the KF Refugees that want something to fall back on in case the KF shuts down or people that were banned/disliked because of a personality clash with Null, staff or the board culture in general. Broadly speaking, it's mutually beneficial. I get a supply of interested members while Null gets kind of a safety valve that relieves some of the pressure. But yeah right now a hands off approach is best to let some of these people blow off a little steam. At least that is my take on the situation.

SIGSEGV

An Onion Among Onions
1607223256896.png

Uh oh.

cjöcker

Remarkable Onion
I think that while everyone is entitled to freedom of speech I think that it's a big thing to ask for in a forum. If you allow people to say anything in any manner you're going to end up like /pol/ and nobody in the history of ever has liked /pol/. I think that freedom of opinion is a better thing to aim for if that makes sense, say all your racist and horrible opinions but do it in a civilized manner.