Non-Country Millennials and zoomers explain why they won't have children

Thread that is not connected to a particular country or miscellaneous posts

The Gays From LA

The Gays From LA Took My K.Flay Away
Hellovan Onion
The right wants you to think they aren't heaving children because they refuse to adult and just want to party all the time, but when you read their own answers and reasons, a very sobering picture emerges.

Some of the reasons given:

- They've already had a care-giving experience (taking care of siblings or dying/disabled relatives) and were overwhelmed
- For women: Awareness of the physical dangers of being pregant/going through labour (tokophobia)
- Awareness of (mental) illness having a genetic component; the fear of passing on mental or physical disabilities
- Lack of support networks/distrust of others
- Fear that having children will negatively impact their relationship with their S.O.

What these stories mostly have in common is the lack of control that they feel over themselves, others and their future. They don't want to have a child unless a positive outcome is guaranteed, unless they know 100% for sure that their child is going to be disease-free, mental illness-free and taken care of by a trustworthy and reliable community. The mere possibility of a negative outcome is enough for them to throw the towel and be like, "Naw, forget it". They think there is too much risk involved and don't want to gamble with any level of uncertainty. This feeling of uncertainty and lack of control is expressed through a general distrust of others, including their own partners and even themselves. They don't trust other people to do what's right or to right a wrong if something goes wrong.

As you can see, it has nothing to do with wanting to party or refusing to adult. Many feel that, given their circumstances, abstaining from children is the most responsible, adult thing to do.

"When my parents had me, there were four grandparents, several uncles and aunts around, and probably 20 close friends with their own kids to split the burden between. I'm over here with both my parents divorced, grandparents dead, uncles and aunts far far away, and don't have nearly as many close friends that I'd trust with my kid. If I have a kid, I'm essentially on my own with my wife. It's scary. Two people with full time jobs still having to make sure that kids are fed and cared for...it's just not possible."

"My mother's mental illness left the lion's share of supervision and housekeeping to me at the expense of my own education (we also had not nearly enough resources for the number of children). The despair of those years turned me off from ever being responsible for a child again. I love my siblings with all my heart, but they nearly broke me."

"I’m so deeply horrified by the idea of getting pregnant that I genuinely do not understand people who want that. To me the idea of becoming pregnant and going through childbirth is equivalent to discovering I have a very serious, life-threatening illness — it just causes a visceral traumatic reaction of DO NOT WANT EVER!"

"When my parents had me, there were four grandparents, several uncles and aunts around, and probably 20 close friends with their own kids to split the burden between. I'm over here with both my parents divorced, grandparents dead, uncles and aunts far far away, and don't have nearly as many close friends that I'd trust with my kid. If I have a kid, I'm essentially on my own with my wife. It's scary. Two people with full time jobs still having to make sure that kids are fed and cared for...it's just not possible."

"I just never felt the need. I always considered myself complete as I was, and every time I got pressure to reproduce it just struck me that something fishy was going on, a sort of misery-loves-company recruitment effort as it were. It felt like a kind of trap. Also, as my contemporaries got pregnant and began what they termed 'building' their families, I could not fail to notice that their relationship with their partners suffered greatly. Enough divorces and breakups happened that it became clear that children were the common denominator in this deluge of unhappy endings."

"At my core I know I would never have kids just because I wanted them. I had a list of things I needed to do before I had them. That list remains unfinished in spite of many attempts, and it looks like time's running out. So I won't have them because I do not think I can bring them into this world without having my priorities figured out."

"I had an awful childhood defined by emotional abuse, bullying, and loneliness which has left me with mental health problems such as trauma, insomnia, eating disorders, anxiety, and emotional instability. I do have paternal instincts but due to my mental health, it is likely that I would be a terrible father and that saddens me."

"At 30, I got cancer. At the same time, we were taking care of my father-in-law who was battling ALS. I survived, but in the following two years, we continued to care for my FIL, took in my sister-in-law who had a psychotic break and took care of my mother-in-law when she had a hip replacement and was also diagnosed with cancer. Yeah, no more taking care of anyone but each other. Also, I’m not bringing a kid into this dying world, that just seems cruel."

"Once a parent, always a parent. The life-changing permanence of that identity scares me more than it has ever excited or tempted me. I want to live my life on my own terms, rather than have another human wholly dependent on me to make the right/safe/good choices for them."

I also found this comment:

My mother always wanted grandchildren until her friends started becoming grandparents taxed with raising their grandchildren. The occasional babysitting job was acceptable but over time the occasional became the daily babysitting job. And then some of the kids started going off the rails and it was the grandparents who were picking up the pieces. She changed her mind about grandchildren when she realized that too often, the demands of being a grandparent were likely to be a third-wheel parent with none of the rights and all of the responsibility. And grandparents do not have the energy that they once did. Being a full-time grandparent is exhausting, expensive, and possibly heartbreaking.

When both parents and grandparents are overwhelmed by child-rearing, you know this is not an environment to have children in.

The Gays From LA

The Gays From LA Took My K.Flay Away
Hellovan Onion
If only we knew what kind of cancer this would turn out to be back when it was a fringe movement on sites like Gaia... Would have nuked it from orbit!
The point of this post is to study close the actual reasons that millennials and zoomers themselves give for refusing to have children, not to project motives onto them. Their refusal to procreate clearly has nothing to do with Gaia and everything to do with them feeling like they have no control over their lives or their futures. These two generations don't see having children as a gamble in life, like previous generations did, who had a lot of children because they had to consider that some of their kids might die before the age of 5 from preventable diseases. Zoomers and millennials no longer accept the idea that a human life is a gamble that might or might not turn out right. These generations only want to have children if they're absolutely 100% sure their kids are going to be healthy, mentally sound and will go on to have a glorious future. They don't want to risk being fucked up parents with fucked up kids. They don't want to half-ass it either. It's either perfect kids with a perfect life or nothing.

Firegirl26

Hellovan Onion
I was born in the 80s so that would make me a generation X I think. Anyway, I don’t wanna have children for a few reasons, one financially, and to their certain responsibilities that you are required to rear children and I don’t think I have those responsibilities. it’s not that I won’t try to do it I mean maybe I’ll make a decent mom someday but no. I mean I’m in my 30s now, so me being a mother would be considered old.