honest thoughts on Sonic the Hedgehog?

nobodyworthwhile

Baby Onion
Just a random question that popped into my head.

Like, on the internet these days Sonic discussion seems to always be more about autistic fans (and in these parts, one autistic fan in particular) than about the actual material.

So..... how do I phrase this....

Okay, peek behind the curtain: Basically I'm trying to word a question that allows discussion but also prevents this from becoming a "lets sperg about furries and Chris-chan" topic. And sometimes my brain does not word good.

But basically yeah... what do you think of Sonic the Hedgehog? Not the character (though that's allowed too)... and not just the games, if you happen to have read any of the comics, seen any of the cartoons, played that one pinball toy from the 1990s, or whatever.

BurnerAccount333

Straightest Gay
Hellovan Onion
What do you think of Sonic the Hedgehog? Not the character (though that's allowed too)... and not just the games, if you happen to have read any of the comics, seen any of the cartoons, played that one pinball toy from the 1990s, or whatever.
I think Sonic is a fun series, and I like Sonic Team's games.
I think Sonic as a character is cool because he was made to be cool but that also means he's kind of a time-capsule.
Because he's a time capsule that means his fans are often quirky, weird, but passionate. It was a time when people actually were passionate.

Sonic fans have made incredible mods, and even games, which I won't name because on forums like these it's best to never mention them especially when they're niche: Because saying "Hey this is my favorite thing." Will cause someone spiteful enough to ruin it, just because you like it.
(Null actually did this to Space Station 13, and he's the catalyst to why tgstation is Trans Gender Station now.)
I'm just trying to get across that the sonic community's passion has given us exceptional media, Tails Got Trolled is both awesome and funny as fuck.
The comics also have some cool moments, like this moment.

That said I haven't actually played any actual sonic game in years now, but I have played plenty of Sonic Team games.
I think the problem I have with actual sonic games: They can make a fun game but they just can't help themselves from adding the worst gimmick imaginable.

Crimson Fucker

Ţepeş
Hellovan Onion
Another thing is apparently the chao things have a whole huge part of the game dedicated to it that not many people played.

Crimson Fucker

Ţepeş
Hellovan Onion
Meh, I am give or take on the Sonic series myself. The fandom made me laugh at how insane they are though.

Though I do say, the Pokemon fandom is far worse than the Sonic fandom ever wishes it could be.
I have a nostalgic appreciation for Pokemon as well as sonic. I try and stay away from the fandoms of both for similar reasons. I pirate a lot of their games because i hate Nintendo too. Competitive pokemon is hyper autistic and pretentious ocd cringe but playing casually is fine.

nobodyworthwhile

Baby Onion
My relation with Sonic has always been strange. I started the 16-Bit era as a Genesis kid, but oddly enough I recall having this contrarian period where I would say Sonic sucks and that other characters like Aero the Acrobat or even Bubsy were better. I think I eventually mellowed out, but for some reason I went from liking Sonic to hating him (or pretending I did) to just mellowing on the whole ordeal.

That said, much like Mario, I don't see the Sonic games as these big amazing revolutionary classics people hold them up as. They're fun--no doubt about that--but this was the console generation where I was discovering the likes of RPGs, and I'm sorry, when you've got meditations on the meaning of life of Illusion of Gaia, or even just the cool puzzles of Landstalker... a hedgehog who jumps on things and body-slams a mad scientist isn't the most exciting thing in the world.

I think that says more about me than the games tho--there's nothing wrong with Sonic games most of the time, they're just not what I gravitate towards. In fact I remember for a long time my favorites were actually Mean Bean Machine... and Tails' Adventure (yes I used to own a Game Gear. I'm an idiot and sold it).

Ling Xiaoyu

Registered
My relation with Sonic has always been strange. I started the 16-Bit era as a Genesis kid, but oddly enough I recall having this contrarian period where I would say Sonic sucks and that other characters like Aero the Acrobat or even Bubsy were better. I think I eventually mellowed out, but for some reason I went from liking Sonic to hating him (or pretending I did) to just mellowing on the whole ordeal.

That said, much like Mario, I don't see the Sonic games as these big amazing revolutionary classics people hold them up as. They're fun--no doubt about that--but this was the console generation where I was discovering the likes of RPGs, and I'm sorry, when you've got meditations on the meaning of life of Illusion of Gaia, or even just the cool puzzles of Landstalker... a hedgehog who jumps on things and body-slams a mad scientist isn't the most exciting thing in the world.

I think that says more about me than the games tho--there's nothing wrong with Sonic games most of the time, they're just not what I gravitate towards. In fact I remember for a long time my favorites were actually Mean Bean Machine... and Tails' Adventure (yes I used to own a Game Gear. I'm an idiot and sold it).

I remember Illusion of Gaia! It is one of my favorite SNES/SFC games of all time, alongside Terranigma, Trials of Mana/Seiken Densetsu 3, The Romancing SaGa trillogy and Bahamut Lagoon. It is good to see someone else who has played IoG. That game, along the ones I mentioned, are very obscure and need more love.

nobodyworthwhile

Baby Onion
While I'm here..... one feeling I get is there's a bit of astro-turfing going on.

Nowadays, I always hear Sonic 3 and Knuckles seen as this crowning achievement of Classic Sonic (unless they prefer Sonic 2). But thing is I recall seeing articles and reviews in the days of the early internet which instead called that the first sign of decline--with a major complaint being that a lot of the levels were designed in a way where most players would inevitably die from time running out unless the player knew exactly where to go, and even then you still sometimes barely make it. Sandopolis and Carnival Night are two big offenders here--I DO know this game like the back of my hand and yet every playthru, I'm always cutting it close.

Sonic 2 being the peak of the series makes a bit more sense to me.