Has something gone wrong with Gay Pride marches?

youthful_ shannel

Hellovan Onion
You can't be subversive AND sponsored by Raytheon, the pride march is a great example of how regular straight peoples are a slave to corporate messaging. Gays have always been biligerant and numerous, but the straights bringing they're kids to this shit because Burger King told them to are new.

Some Random Sperg

Baby Onion
The general public didn't attend the marches/parades back in the day. Now they're promoted as entertainment.
It's arguably reached the status of being a religious festival, as this Slate Star Codex article argues.

BurnerAccount333

Straightest Gay
Hellovan Onion
Isn't this kind of sexualization an ironic re-enforcement of the negative stereotypes? Homo means you like people with the same genitals as yours, or it should be in the basic definition and that's what many gays from older generations espoused.
I actually know the reason for why the gay pride parades got like this, and you might find yourself understanding why but as the saying goes:
Hell is paved in good intentions.

When the gay parades started it was to say: "Look we're all normal people." However no matter what you do it's impossible to get complete universal acceptance because what people would do is say: "They act like this, but this is actually what they do behind close doors!"
So how do you combat this? The answer was actually the opposite, and while you can argue it isn't correct it is arguably effective.
Like what are you going to do? Call them degenerate? Wow, that really showed the guys walking around in a gimp suit. No one would've guessed.
Say they're perverted? Yeah the dick floats left me confused and ignorant, thanks for the tip.
Talk about how weird they are? That's a surprise, I couldn't figure that out.

See for the longest time almost all gay insults were meant to strike moral-fear for the safety of the community.
If the slurs couldn't strike fear then they strike disgust: Remember almost all the slurs that imply fecal matter in some way, like fudge packer.
To a lot homophobes it is the goal to make you look at gays and say: "That's disgusting."
So the pride parade took that challenge and flipped it on the head: There's no secret, no hidden world, you can see the gay world with all its kinks.
And it arguably worked when people point at the parade now people don't say: "That's weird." They usually say: "So what?"

Still it isn't perfect, and a lot gays have their own opinions on the matter. I can only speak to my own perspective and honestly I don't have an opinion beyond the fact I believe kinks of all types should be kept behind closed doors and in exchange not sought out.

Reason: typo