• The best Kiwifarms splinter site on the internet
    All races, religions and political orientations are welcome.
    Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (Male, female, gay, straight. cis, trans) we don't care.
    If you can swing with a pack of gremlins on the Onionfarms, you are one of us.

Technology Blocking Ads in 2023

Technical Related Threads

Slidey Boi

Modguin
Local Moderator
My fellow Onion Bros,

Google Chrome is disabling Adblock in 2023. Will this affect you guys? How do you plan to continue blocking ads?

On the PC I'm considering either going back to Firefox, or trying Brave. Not sure what to do with my phone though. I have an Android, I think I'm screwed.

delphi

refugee
Hellovan Onion
My fellow Onion Bros,

Google Chrome is disabling Adblock in 2023. Will this affect you guys? How do you plan to continue blocking ads?

On the PC I'm considering either going back to Firefox, or trying Brave. Not sure what to do with my phone though. I have an Android, I think I'm screwed.
Brave has an Android app.

fag0t

Hellovan Onion
My fellow Onion Bros,

jewgle chrome has always been gay firefox has always been the best browser

monkeylove

Registered
Firefox tweaked for privacy, with ETP in strict mode (disable for sites that break), uBlock Origin in default mode or Adblock for desktop for various apps (try the lifetime subscription promo), and multi-account containers extension.

yeah

Registered
I honestly don't see how Google disabling Adblock is an issue as there are many alternates to Chome and Adblock. Even if Google was to entirely disable 3rd party addons, you can always go the old school route of using a proxy filter, like Proxomitron. Until they do, uBlock Origin and such exist.

Or, if you must use Chrome, simply disable updating to the latest version. You could enable developer mode and manually install any adblock you want. I simply can't see from any technical point of view how they could achieve this, given their low level of competence and delivery verses their promises of "Our products work the way we promised".

This whole thing smells more like Google attempting to appeal to advertisers and being unable to deliver in the end. This is nothing new and no doubt will come up again in a few years when this iteration fails.

monkeylove

Registered
Best to have browsers patched to avoid new vulnerabilities. In which case, use something like Brave, and if you like tweaking the UI, etc., Firefox hardened, etc.