Onionfarms Movie Night

In the process of being set up.

Africa (Except MENA) Anthrax Outbreak in Africa

Africa Related (Except MENA)

Crimson Fucker

Ţepeş
Hellovan Onion
At least 20 dead and over 1100 cases of infection from anthrax. Uganda is among them.

Crimson Fucker

Ţepeş
Hellovan Onion
I'm guessing like a cross between beef and pork with maybe a fishy after taste or something because they are in the water a lot and are related to Whales iirc. They are endangered so you can't just go hunt them legally, you would either have to go to a place that breeds them for hunting to manage the populations or go to Columbia where they are invasive, destroying the ecosystem and need to be killed off. Pablo Escobar had them as pets and they let them go instead of shipping them off or culling them and now they attack villages because they are extremely dangerous and territorial already known for killing lots of people in Africa. Poachers in Africa used to hunt these things with rocket launchers for their meat since their hide is so thick it would take a 50 cal or at least a heavy machine gun to penetrate it, they also toss dynamite in lakes so it kills them and they float to the surface. I'd like to try it myself.

Crimson Fucker

Ţepeş
Hellovan Onion
Speaking of which, I wonder if hippo meat caused it again this time. The hippos would eat infected meat and people would get it from them.

Last edited:

Busty O'Queef

Angry faggot
Hellovan Onion
Poachers in Africa used to hunt these things with rocket launchers for their meat since their hide is so thick it would take a 50 cal or at least a heavy machine gun to penetrate it, they also toss dynamite in lakes so it kills them and they float to the surface. I'd like to try it myself.
African poachers are based AF

Busty O'Queef

Angry faggot
Hellovan Onion
@Adanna why don't you forget about z list celebs and use that sweet Kengle expense account to find us stories about poachers going after bushmeat with rpgs? That would drive far more traffic to the forum.

Kenneth Erwin Engelhardt

Owner
Global Moderator
I'm guessing like a cross between beef and pork with maybe a fishy after taste or something because they are in the water a lot and are related to Whales iirc. They are endangered so you can't just go hunt them legally, you would either have to go to a place that breeds them for hunting to manage the populations or go to Columbia where they are invasive, destroying the ecosystem and need to be killed off. Pablo Escobar had them as pets and they let them go instead of shipping them off or culling them and now they attack villages because they are extremely dangerous and territorial already known for killing lots of people in Africa. Poachers in Africa used to hunt these things with rocket launchers for their meat since their hide is so thick it would take a 50 cal or at least a heavy machine gun to penetrate it, they also toss dynamite in lakes so it kills them and they float to the surface. I'd like to try it myself.
There was a serious proposal to import hippos to the swamps in Florida and Louisiana to not only control the water hyacinth but to also try and set up hippo ranches to address the beef shortage.

Crimson Fucker

Ţepeş
Hellovan Onion
It would have failed. Hippos don't eat the plants in the water.
Yeah it would have been similar to Colombia with them being invasive and making it worse for the ecosystem. It would also be too difficult to farm them in my opinion because how dangerous they are and the risk of them getting out is too great. Importing the meat is probably out of the question due to the anthrax as well because it's hard to get a deal going since they only let certain companies do it with a lot of restrictions and I highly doubt they would pass all the qualifications.

Kenneth Erwin Engelhardt

Owner
Global Moderator
Yeah it would have been similar to Colombia with them being invasive and making it worse for the ecosystem. It would also be too difficult to farm them in my opinion because how dangerous they are and the risk of them getting out is too great. Importing the meat is probably out of the question due to the anthrax as well because it's hard to get a deal going since they only let certain companies do it with a lot of restrictions and I highly doubt they would pass all the qualifications.
No. It would not have been similar to Columbia. Hippos would not make it in the winter in Louisiana.

Crimson Fucker

Ţepeş
Hellovan Onion
No. It would not have been similar to Columbia. Hippos would not make it in the winter in Louisiana.
Louisiana sure, but I think they would fit right into Florida and move further south if it gets cold because it would be pretty difficult to stop them from going where they want due to being walk tanks made of muscle bone and lard with a tough hide. Florida would have been another Colombia scenario because warmer climate and more food. They would probably thrive and fuck up the ecosystem even more than the invasive exotic pets people release and unless the government tells people to start culling them people typically won't out of fear of jail and or fines.

Kenneth Erwin Engelhardt

Owner
Global Moderator
Louisiana sure, but I think they would fit right into Florida and move further south if it gets cold because it would be pretty difficult to stop them from going where they want due to being walk tanks made of muscle bone and lard with a tough hide. Florida would have been another Colombia scenario because warmer climate and more food. They would probably thrive and fuck up the ecosystem even more than the invasive exotic pets people release and unless the government tells people to start culling them people typically won't out of fear of jail and or fines.
I don't know. The American Deep South has a wildcard that it pulls on invasive species.

Crimson Fucker

Ţepeş
Hellovan Onion
Florida is like a competitionless buffet to a hippo and they are pretty hardy animals that can easily adapt to new environments so would easily become the apex animal because they like many other African fauna are just built different. It's like a giant semi aquatic whale pig. They are normally found in tropical and subtropical climates and that's pretty much what Florida is iirc. They probably wouldn't like Louisiana much though.

Kenneth Erwin Engelhardt

Owner
Global Moderator
Florida is like a competitionless buffet to a hippo and they are pretty hardy animals that can easily adapt to new environments so would easily become the apex animal because they like many other African fauna are just built different. It's like a giant semi aquatic whale pig. They are normally found in tropical and subtropical climates and that's pretty much what Florida is iirc. They probably wouldn't like Louisiana much though.
Hippos live primarily in rivers and feed on the vegetation on shore. Originally they were on Pablo Escobar's estate east of Medellin.
Here is the climate for Medellin: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medellín#Geography
Basically it's completely tropical.
Hippos can tolerate cold weather down to 40 degrees F if they are given heated shelter. Basically the water they spend time in has to be heated as well: https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...9687f1dae4106d8/1487955064260/River+hippo.pdf

Here is the climate for Lafayette, LA: There is no way they could live here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lafayette,_Louisiana#Climate
Here is the climate for Fort Myers, FL: Again even though this is classified as a tropical monsoon climate, you can still have freezing temperatures which would in all likelihood kill them: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Myers,_Florida#Geography_and_climate

Crimson Fucker

Ţepeş
Hellovan Onion
They would most likely be fine because the temperature occasionally gets cold in some parts of their natural habitat too and could adapt to it one way or another. People would definitely have to hunt them all down either before or after they become a problem. It's a reoccurring thing.

BurnerAccount333

Straightest Gay
Hellovan Onion
I wonder what hippopotamus tastes like?
They're herbivores so it's not bush-meat.
Their taste is apparently closer to pork, but the sweetness is apparently closer to beef. The texture is like steak.
Every site I find though warns me in bold text: "DO NOT EAT HIPPOPOTAMUS MEAT, THEY ARE ENDANGERED"

Last edited: