weebs petitioning to control anime/game translations

nobodyworthwhile

Baby Onion
So technically this was posted weeks ago and I had actually discussed it privately with someone, but I figured I'd make it public.

I first learned about this from this video:

So my first reaction was.... "this sounds like a BAD idea."

Granted, my second was "like most internet petitions this is probably not gonna go anywhere," but still.

The problem is its clunkily-worded--examples will haphazardly go from "Item A is something we don't allow" but then Item B is something they're fine with, which just sounds schizo--they should really segregate into "what's allowed" and "what's not allowed" columns.

I also chafed at the "Woolseyisms are not allowed" part. One because for something they hope is seen by a high-ranking figure, that's a term that you can't expect people with a life to know. And secondly, Ted Woolsey's translations were GOOD, so why throw him under the bus? This would be like someone saying "Acting should not be Shakespearean."

But I also just had a lot of issues with the rules they wanna enforce and, in a lot of cases, the phrasings. What strikes me most is things like this always tunnel-vision on a few recent egregious cases but then shoot their net too far. And frankly, weebs have fucked ideas about how translation should work anyway, always wanting things literal to the point of clunkiness or even sometimes unreadability. I could go into more detail but like I said I discussed this in private and the brain-juices need more time to refill before I go at it again.

There was no point discussing this on Kiwi Farms because you know those people would be on board with anything that owns the trannies. They would be on board with putting Cyanide in M&Ms if you could convince them it was somehow anti-woke. So what do you guys think?

.I.

Registered
And frankly, weebs have fucked ideas about how translation should work anyway, always wanting things literal to the point of clunkiness or even sometimes unreadability.
This is how it's always been, these people are manchildren who know nothing about localization, translation, business in general, or anything really. Not much to discuss here, this is like a bunch of children trying to petition for ice cream for breakfast every day.