Internet forum thought I just had...

nobodyworthwhile

Baby Onion
Shower thought, because my mind wandered onto problems internet forums have (especially since Onions like to think about one forum in particular a lot). Narcissistic owners, mods who are shit at doing their jobs, users who act retarded because of online anonymity, etc...

So, I was thinking: What if instead of tons of different forums, there was just one. No moderation or oversight (so, basically usenet if you're old enough to remember that)....

.... But with a twist: Nobody has a personalized user name, Instead, your account is directly linked to your real name and street address, which yes, would be public information.

What do you think is the most likely outcome? Would this at all work or would this be DOA?

The Gays From LA

The Gays From LA Took My K.Flay Away
Hellovan Onion
What you've just described is Facebook but from the perspective of an NSA officer reading posts in the secret underground NSA spy cave.

BurnerAccount333

Straightest Gay
Hellovan Onion
Shower thought, because my mind wandered onto problems internet forums have (especially since Onions like to think about one forum in particular a lot). Narcissistic owners, mods who are shit at doing their jobs, users who act retarded because of online anonymity, etc...

So, I was thinking: What if instead of tons of different forums, there was just one. No moderation or oversight (so, basically usenet if you're old enough to remember that)....

.... But with a twist: Nobody has a personalized user name, Instead, your account is directly linked to your real name and street address, which yes, would be public information.

What do you think is the most likely outcome? Would this at all work or would this be DOA?
Facebook.

Anonymity is great, it allows for discussion and it's the purest form of expression the first amendment from the united states considering the founding fathers wanted Freedom of Speech to be inherently Freedom of Consequences.
It's one of things some the founding fathers even did; sending anonymous letters and sock-puppeting.

And arguably what you describe is happening to today: Twitter and its failings is the outcome.

nobodyworthwhile

Baby Onion
Huh. Honestly when I was having this thought my thinking was "it would be DOA, nobody would ever use a platform where someone can just decide to stalk them for any reason, or no reason at all." But I forgot about the real-world examples.

Slaughter

FUCK YOU GO OFF YOURSELF YOU KNAVE GODDAMN FORUM FAIRIE
Local Moderator
The older folks would be even more outta pocket than they are on Facebook, they'd invite people to come fight them daily.