• The best Kiwifarms splinter site on the internet
    All races, religions and political orientations are welcome.
    Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity (Male, female, gay, straight. cis, trans) we don't care.
    If you can swing with a pack of gremlins on the Onionfarms, you are one of us.
  • Restoring Deleted Thread:

I am in the process of restoring a backup on a temporary subdomain to see if the thread might be on there. The backup is from the 27th. Downloading Complete

Guitar and Bass discussion and commentary

Subtitle
If you only play a kazoo, fuck off!

GloryHole Stalker

Man of Questionable Taste
Baby Onion
So anyone here play guitar or bass? If so, lay that shit on us. I'll start...

Guitar...my primary axe of choice is an Ibanez AF75. I's a midrange jazzbox. I'm not a shredder or anything like that, I've just always liked the looks of hollowbody guitars and it also fits what I prefer to play, which are clumsy attempts at Rockabilly and "blues". I've been "playing" on and off for over 30 years now, but mostly on for the last 10 or so. A few years back, one of my kids picked up guitar playing, and seeing how astonishingly fast he was able to play well, I decided I really needed to step up my guitar game.

My current amp of choice is a Bugera V5 Infinium. A very affordable Tube amp. I previously owned a solid state amp, but wanted to see if I could get in on some of that Tube amp "warmth". My playing does sound nicer now.

As far as pedals go. I only have (or need) 3 and they all are Behringer brand. A Tubescreamer clone, A Vintage Delay and Tremolo pedal. The casings for these are plastic, but since I'm a bedroom player only, they fill the bill nicely.

AF75.jpgbugera.jpg

【VOID】

Retired Staff
I play a bit of guitar but I also raise reptiles and I have a few reptiles with special needs (Leopard Geckos with the Enigma gene) who are very sensitive to loud noises so I traded my electric in for an acoustic. It's a Seagull Entourage
1664345066636.png

I've been pretty pleased with it; I've got it strung up with the slinky cobalt 11-48s made for an electric obviously but they sound super rich on the acoustic so I went with that.

GloryHole Stalker

Man of Questionable Taste
Baby Onion
That's pretty interesting. I've read that using acoustic strings on an electric isn't ideal, but I've never read about trying it the other way. I still have my first guitar, an Epiphone PR350S acoustic which I got Christmas of 1987. It's in bad need of new tuners and an actual set up (playing anything above about halfway up the neck is a bit trying. I may have to throw some electric strings on there and give it a go.

Sorry to hear about you geckos. It's nice they have an owner that cares.

Last edited:

【VOID】

Retired Staff
That's pretty interesting. I've read that using acoustic strings on an electric isn't ideal, but I've never read about trying it the other way. I still have my first guitar, an Epiphone PR350S acoustic which I got Christmas of 1987. It's in bad need of new tuners and an actual set up (playing anything above about halfway up the neck is a bit trying. I may have to throw some electric strings on there and give it a go.
Nice lol, my parents got me my first guitar in middle school when the music teacher decided to get everyone to play "Can't Stop" by RHCP on xylophones but I thought xylophones were pretty gay and asked if I could play the guitar instead. It was one of those $99 fender strats that I smashed a day or so after I got a warlock for Christmas some years later lol.

I used to have nickel and bronze acoustic strings on the guitar I play now but I broke my e string and didn't have anything but the cobalts on hand to restring with, and it sounded so good I replaced all the strings and I've stuck with it since. They resonate really well and there's something about it I can't really place, like a bit of a cool edge to the undertones that you don't notice with bright or warm acoustic strings. It's unique.
Sorry to hear about you geckos. It's nice they have an owner that cares.
Oh it's no worries. I adopt and/or buy enigmas when I see them; a lot of reptile owners get them underestimating what a gecko with enigma syndrome; it's a neurological condition that affects their balance and depth perception, so a lot of times they can't hunt on their own because they'll miss their food, they're sensitive to light and sound and they have sensory issues similar to autism in humans so unfortunately a lot of people who buy them because of them out of the novelty or the reputation of the morph end up killing them because they treat them like a normal gecko. They were first bred in 2006 so it's still a new genotype that people didn't understand, but because the colors were so different and unique people started breeding enigmas into everything to see what would happen, long story short there are hundreds of lines that carry the gene now and they end up getting mistreated so yeah, there's nothing to be sorry about, 99% of them do very well when they're cared for properly.