Onionfarms Movie Night

In the process of being set up.

Aliens, Existentialism, and the Fermi Paradox

Slidey Boi

Modguin
Local Moderator
My grandfather told me once that he really hopes the truth surrounding UFOs and alien sightings would be revealed before his passing. Well he's been gone for over a year now and the case is still open.

Putting aside the issue of UFO/UAVs and sightings, what do you think about the possibility of alien life?

Is there another intelligent civilization in our galaxy somewhere, at this very moment, wondering the same thing?

Perhaps they aren't wondering because they already know about us...

Or maybe they aren't wondering because the workings of their minds are so foreign to us that we couldn't comprehend their thoughts..

Maybe we truly are special in the galaxy and are the only life. Or maybe sentience is unique to us, but there might be very simple forms of life elsewhere.

I'm asking because I don't know how to feel, I've been all over the map on this throughout my life.

The Gays From LA

The Gays From LA Took My K.Flay Away
Hellovan Onion
what do you think about the possibility of alien life?

If they do exist (I tend towards no, but perhaps they do), there's no way they would ever visit this dirty filthy pile of floating space trash. Seriously, if you were an alien able to go literally anywhere in the universe, would you visit this fucking floating trash pile, or some beautiful pristine planet untouched and unspoiled by lower life forms and their dirty filthy space debris? I know which way I would go if I were an alien! Unless these aliens are sadistic and into some kind of interstellar disaster tourism, I don't see why they would ever want to come here and watch us float in our own trash. I think we have to learn to clean up after ourselves if we expect higher life forms to ever give us the time of day.

Slidey Boi

Modguin
Local Moderator
If they do exist (I tend towards no, but perhaps they do), there's no way they would ever visit this dirty filthy pile of floating space trash. Seriously, if you were an alien able to go literally anywhere in the universe, would you visit this fucking floating trash pile, or some beautiful pristine planet untouched and unspoiled by lower life forms and their dirty filthy space debris? I know which way I would go if I were an alien! Unless these aliens are sadistic and into some kind of interstellar disaster tourism, I don't see why they would ever want to come here and watch us float in our own trash. I think we have to learn to clean up after ourselves if we expect higher life forms to ever give us the time of day.
That's definitely a valid point. There's little to be gained materially by visiting this planet when compared to the enormous time and expense of space travel. However, should an advanced society find a way to cross the void of space cheaply and quickly, then it could be possible. I don't believe any space-faring civilization would visit us for any material purpose. Humorously, L Ron Hubbard claims aliens were interested in earth due it is copper content... an extremely abundant resource throughout the galaxy.

If aliens have or would ever visit us, I believe it would be entirely for their interest in us. Either they want to cultivate or protect us for their own purposes, or perhaps out of sense of moral obligation. Or maybe they want to manipulate or study us just as a matter of curiosity. If we take the notion of alien visitors at face value and say they've been visiting earth and occasionally abducting humans, one thing is clear to me. Its that they don't mean to cause us harm. With that kind of unfathomable technology they surely could wipe us out easily if they wanted to.

Blaine Gaven Ross

annoying skitzo pedo groomer troon
SpergCage Resident
I think that one of your fellow staff members did a wonderful job explaining an alternative concept in direct opposition to the Star Trek model. Instead of aliens waiting until we are advanced/civilized enough, perhaps it's a very bad thing to be spotted in this universe.
Kinda makes more sense for aliens to be spirits though but that's synchronism for you, you synthesize it down and you'll always blame clockwork elves for being bastards.

The Gays From LA

Hellovan Onion
If aliens have or would ever visit us, I believe it would be entirely for their interest in us. Either they want to cultivate or protect us for their own purposes, or perhaps out of sense of moral obligation. Or maybe they want to manipulate or study us just as a matter of curiosity. If we take the notion of alien visitors at face value and say they've been visiting earth and occasionally abducting humans, one thing is clear to me. Its that they don't mean to cause us harm. With that kind of unfathomable technology they surely could wipe us out easily if they wanted to.

The problem I have with people speculating about aliens is that it becomes like a "secular religion". The concept of "aliens" becomes like this huge projection screen for people to project all of these really complex, ethical and philosophical questions that would otherwise be really abstract and arouse very little interest. Take for example the idea that aliens would want to "protect us" or, on the other hand, they might be hostile and want to "wipe us out". That's really asking the question: "Do you think a human life is worthwhile?" but here you're asking that question indirectly: "Do aliens think a human life is worthwhile?". (Or, if you want: "Do I expect outsiders to be curious, friendly or hostile towards me?"). I think it's better to ask these questions without projecting them onto aliens. It's cool if you want to use aliens as an intellectual clutch to ask these really deep questions, but it would be better if you didn't need aliens to wonder about these things.

Slidey Boi

Modguin
Local Moderator
The problem I have with people speculating about aliens is that it becomes like a "secular religion". The concept of "aliens" becomes like this huge projection screen for people to project all of these really complex, ethical and philosophical questions that would otherwise be really abstract and arouse very little interest. Take for example the idea that aliens would want to "protect us" or, on the other hand, they might be hostile and want to "wipe us out". That's really asking the question: "Do you think a human life is worthwhile?" but here you're asking that question indirectly: "Do aliens think a human life is worthwhile?". (Or, if you want: "Do I expect outsiders to be curious, friendly or hostile towards me?"). I think it's better to ask these questions without projecting them onto aliens. It's cool if you want to use aliens as an intellectual clutch to ask these really deep questions, but it would be better if you didn't need aliens to wonder about these things.

I see what you're saying and I appreciate your thoughtful consideration, but I completely disagree. I'm coming from a place of genuine interest and potential belief. I fully believe human life has value, but I don't know how an outsider might think of it. I also don't think this is just idle speculation, but I do think there is a high likelihood of us having a meaningful encounters with extraterrestrial intelligence. Afterall, even the Pentagon more openly discusses it now. Stephen Hawking famously warned that alien civilizations would most likely see Earth as just a planet to plunder for resources and that we shouldn't broadcast ourselves. I don't know if he's right or not, I tend to think not, but I think its worth discussing.

The Gays From LA

Hellovan Onion
Afterall, even the Pentagon more openly discusses it now.
Have you considered the possibility that the Pentagon is discussing this more openly because they know it's all bullshit, but appearing to discuss this more openly is an opportunity for them to fake transparency while discussing something that has no real consequences for them, but is nevertheless a very popular topic? The Pentagon may not be very popular but aliens certainly are, so discussing them is an opportunity for the Pentagon to profile themselves in the media in positive light.
Stephen Hawking famously warned that alien civilizations would most likely see Earth as just a planet to plunder for resources and that we shouldn't broadcast ourselves. I don't know if he's right or not, I tend to think not, but I think its worth discussing.
I disagree. I revert to my comment about how any self-respecting alien able to travel anywhere in the universe would not bother visiting a floating garbage dump like Earth, but would rather visit a virginal pristine planet where they can mine everything undisturbed by the locals.

Also, consider this: wouldn't a higher life-form that has achieved the feat of long-term long-range space-travel have likewise mastered the science of synthesizing materials, to the point where they don't need to mine anything anymore but can just synthesize whatever materials they need?

We as humans end up making a lot of mistakes whenever we project our own limitations onto higher life-forms. Like mining. Why would a higher life-form need to mine like we do? Perhaps we have to mine materials because we're just too stupid to do otherwise. Doesn't that reveal our own limited evolution and how we still have a very long way to go?

nobodyworthwhile

Baby Onion
That's definitely a valid point. There's little to be gained materially by visiting this planet when compared to the enormous time and expense of space travel.
Okay, old thread I know, but I wasn't here and this bugs me.

It always bugs me when people speak about aliens as if they would have the same beliefs, philosophy, and outlook as you yourself do. These are ALIENS. Even on Earth, you find radically different points of view about things: some people see cities with tall buildings and say "that's a shining beacon of civilization." Others see it and say "That's a pimple on the face of nature."

Who is to say that aliens wouldn't look at giant junk yards or that floating island made entirely of congealed trash, and actually find it fascinating... or even find a way to utilize it for some sort of energy they need?

Aliens would not be just humans with funny faces but essentially the same beliefs, is what I'm saying.

Firegirl26

Hellovan Onion
Okay, old thread I know, but I wasn't here and this bugs me.

It always bugs me when people speak about aliens as if they would have the same beliefs, philosophy, and outlook as you yourself do. These are ALIENS. Even on Earth, you find radically different points of view about things: some people see cities with tall buildings and say "that's a shining beacon of civilization." Others see it and say "That's a pimple on the face of nature."

Who is to say that aliens wouldn't look at giant junk yards or that floating island made entirely of congealed trash, and actually find it fascinating... or even find a way to utilize it for some sort of energy they need?

Aliens would not be just humans with funny faces but essentially the same beliefs, is what I'm saying.
If aliens can take our trash and use it for something productive. I welcome them.

Jetstream Sharpe

NOOO YOU CANT JUST DEMOLISH THE TWIN TOWERS WITH THERMITE AND KILL 3000 AMERICAN GOYIM AND BLAME IT ON FAKE TERRORISTS AND INVADE AFGHANISTAN AND THEN KILL EVEN MORE HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF AMERICANS WITH OPIUM WHILE LISTENING TO TOUCHED BY MBV - TH
Remarkable Onion
I have a vision of a Galaxy overrun by mankind from Core to rim. Of four hundred billion stars each enslaved to the rhythms of Earth’s day, Earth’s year. I have a vision of a trillion planets pulsing to the beat of a human heart. And I have a vision of a child. Who will grow up knowing neither family nor comfort. Who will not be distracted by the illusion of a long life. Who will know nothing but honor and duty. Who will die joyously for the sake of mankind. That is a hero. And I will never know her name.

We're gonna kill those green bastards

A short life burns brightly!

Boobie Bomb

Hellovan Onion
I hold an optimistic view that humanity's collective lifespan will prove sufficient to encounter extraterrestrial lifeforms in the near future. Such an epochal contact event may provide access to advanced technologies capable of resolving intractable issues that continue to plague our civilization, including medical afflictions like cancer. Furthermore, establishing relations with alien societies may open avenues for interdimensional travel to parallel versions of our own world, where physical laws or prevalent technologies have radically diverged. The spectrum of plausible alternatives is vast—perhaps even boundless. Gravitational forces may be inconsequential, or industrial infrastructures reliant on steam power. Magic itself may represent a manipulable phenomenon rather than mere fiction. As we reflect upon prospective rendezvous with alien intelligences, it becomes apparent the breadth of possibilities defies any singular imagination. The potential revelations are limited only by the extent of our open-minded speculation.

Crimson Fucker

Ţepeş
Hellovan Onion
Odds are more likely than not some form of alien life exists on other planets, but just as likely that it is too far and or too primitive to interact with or even detect assuming they are alive at the same time as we are.