SNES

Dum Cruise

Nostalgia
Hellovan Onion
The SNES is the greatest console of all time. From Super Mario World, to Donkey Kong Country, to Chrono Trigger this console was legendary.
What's your favourite SNES platformer? RPG? Action game? Favourite game in general? Whats some of your favourite memories of the console? Any hot takes?

Let's return to Gaming In The Clinton years and talk about the super famicom.
Screenshot_2021-02-03 SNES-Mod1-Console-Set - List of Super Nintendo Entertainment System game...png

kiwifaggot

Not a funposter
Baby Onion
Best RPG? Easily Earthbound, fantastic presentation style with beautiful psychedelic visuals and one of the only game OSTs worth listening to on its own. Plus the rolling health bars is one of my favorite battle mechanics period.

Platformer is a little harder to narrow down, but I think I'm going to give it to Kirby Super Star. It really built upon the previous entries in the series and perfected the gameplay. On top of that it included 8 games in 1! How cool is that?
It's just one of those fun feel-good games that never seem to get old.
Any hot takes?
I think SMW is a step down from Mario 3. The level variety is thematically lacking, with not nearly as many types of interesting worlds compared to Mario 3. And while the spin jump introduces some fun new ways of interacting with enemies and blocks, I just don't find the game over all as fun.

Boingotango

Hellovan Onion
I think SMW is a step down from Mario 3. The level variety is thematically lacking, with not nearly as many types of interesting worlds compared to Mario 3. And while the spin jump introduces some fun new ways of interacting with enemies and blocks, I just don't find the game over all as fun.

While I do concede your point about the world themes being cooler in SMB3. I also like the graphics and look better in SMB3, but the game mechanics in SMW were way better and you could do some crazy stuff. The stupid shit you could pull off with the cape was really fun. The Underwater worlds were actually good. The Ghost Houses and Ghost Ships were interesting and I liked the as a replacement to the Fortresses in SMB3. The Star World and even better The Special Zone were really unique and actually pretty challenging. There was just so much more in SMW in the way of side areas.

I'll also give SMB3 having better sidegames like the Slots and Card Matching for items. SMW should've kept the inventory could've been interesting.

kiwifaggot

Not a funposter
Baby Onion
While I do concede your point about the world themes being cooler in SMB3. I also like the graphics and look better in SMB3, but the game mechanics in SMW were way better and you could do some crazy stuff. The stupid shit you could pull off with the cape was really fun. The Underwater worlds were actually good. The Ghost Houses and Ghost Ships were interesting and I liked the as a replacement to the Fortresses in SMB3. The Star World and even better The Special Zone were really unique and actually pretty challenging. There was just so much more in SMW in the way of side areas.

I'll also give SMB3 having better sidegames like the Slots and Card Matching for items. SMW should've kept the inventory could've been interesting.
Yeah SMW is a much more mechanically rich game, not even going to attempt to rebut that. At high-level play it is super fun to watch, at the end end of the day though in just the basic game the levels just aren't as fun to traverse.
It's not even just a matter of the overall theme as it is the structure. Mario 3 has a lot of levels that feature elements completely unique to themselves such as the pyramid in 2 or Kuribo's Shoe and the castle in 5. I feel overall out of the entire classic Mario entries 3 tries the most things.

Not that I think SMW is in any way a bad game. I called it a step back (which I do think it is in overall level design), but it's still a fun time.
The best thing, as you said, that SMW introduced was Star Road and Special World. Including harder bonus stages after completing the main game was a good choice for the franchise especially as the games grew easier over the years. The enemies wearing Mario masks upon completion is a fun touch as well.

I have to disagree on Ghosts Houses though, nice music, spooky atmosphere, absolutely aggravating for 8 year old me. My childhood grudge against them burns ever strong. Mazes with time limits were the bane of my existence.

Glownigger

Registered
Mario 3 also had a better 2 player mode where you can be a dick and steal your friend's turn and cards in a Mario Bros. game. Good thing the game was included in All Stars.

Glownigger Incorporated

We Back on Crack
Baby Onion
My parents bought me R Type as a kid based on the box art. I didn't have the skills to pay the bills on that one. Still fun though.

Also the Phantom 2040 side scroller was dope. 20 possible endings based on your choices.

Tom Nook

Nice to meet you, yes, yes!
Registered
Best RPG? Easily Earthbound, fantastic presentation style with beautiful psychedelic visuals and one of the only game OSTs worth listening to on its own. Plus the rolling health bars is one of my favorite battle mechanics period.
I'd love to see the rolling health mechanic from Earthbound and the combo system from Mother 3 expanded on in a new game, they just have so much unused potential for the player to exploit to their benefit in a harder game (not to say there aren't difficult moments in both.), too bad the series is basically dead now.

Special World.
Tubular and Gnarly were the best special world levels, they just felt so satisfying to play through and complete (well moreso infuriating with Tubular, but it's a fun challenge)

Glownigger

Registered
(well moreso infuriating with Tubular, but it's a fun challenge)

Fuck being a human balloon, I get a blue yoshi, swallow a red koopa, and fly through that poorly designed level. Awesome is probably my favorite level in that world.

Last edited: