Technology I'd rather buy a Commodore VC20 than a ugly new computer. new stuff suck!

Technical Related Threads

MylarBalloon123

Baby Onion
1980s technology is where its at. some 90s stuff like Sony Minidisc is decent. but 2010s 2020s stuff is worthless and I don't wanna spend money on it.
the only new stuff I like is Mylar Balloons, everything else new suck!

Slidey Boi

Modguin
Local Moderator
What i don't like about modern software is, it tries too hard to think for you and limit your options. It also tries too hard to be new and innovative with distracting features that should be optional, made mandatory.

Case in point, I bought a laptop with Windows 11. Took me an entire day to unfuck it and disable dumb things and streamline everything. Had to get into the registry for a lot of it.

Neko Rights Activist

OK I'm a pink cat =UwU=
Remarkable Onion
based, I still use my 2016 PC build these days simply because nothing is worthwhile now. most of modern games are shit and even those that don't suck have "modern" game design bullshit in them.

yeah

Registered
Modern games are written by skidiots who learned to do what they're told at university, always bundled with "extras" (spyware/crypto/bugs to be fixed later) that the board approve of because "We make more money this way". These games are also written on deadlines, with many things changed mid-development, and with certain features removed and added later as an addon. Compound this with working with a team of many others who may have a slightly different idea - it's going to be a hot mess. And remember, game reviewers need "wimp mode" to play these games, so of course they make it "idiot friendly".

Modern indie developers use engines like unity, rip prewritten scripts and "borrow" assets to make the same game we've all played a million times before, only with different art & audio work all for a few quick bucks on steam.

The software written by bedroom coders of the 80/90s - who would write software THEY wanted to see, on a time scale of their own, in a sensible programming language (assembler, or BASIC if you was slow).

As for why code standard in general is bad. In simple terms, back in the day you had a set amount of cycles & RAM to use which meant working within limits. The hardware was static across the board. Now developers say "If my game doesn't work on your computer, you need to get an upgrade", which is a cop out for "We don't know how to write in a decent language". I'll also add that they like to "borrow" code from others libraries - which are usually badly written in the first place.

End of rant.

Neko Rights Activist

OK I'm a pink cat =UwU=
Remarkable Onion
Modern games are written by skidiots who learned to do what they're told at university, always bundled with "extras" (spyware/crypto/bugs to be fixed later) that the board approve of because "We make more money this way". These games are also written on deadlines, with many things changed mid-development, and with certain features removed and added later as an addon. Compound this with working with a team of many others who may have a slightly different idea - it's going to be a hot mess. And remember, game reviewers need "wimp mode" to play these games, so of course they make it "idiot friendly".

Modern indie developers use engines like unity, rip prewritten scripts and "borrow" assets to make the same game we've all played a million times before, only with different art & audio work all for a few quick bucks on steam.

The software written by bedroom coders of the 80/90s - who would write software THEY wanted to see, on a time scale of their own, in a sensible programming language (assembler, or BASIC if you was slow).

As for why code standard in general is bad. In simple terms, back in the day you had a set amount of cycles & RAM to use which meant working within limits. The hardware was static across the board. Now developers say "If my game doesn't work on your computer, you need to get an upgrade", which is a cop out for "We don't know how to write in a decent language". I'll also add that they like to "borrow" code from others libraries - which are usually badly written in the first place.

End of rant.
funny because the mainstream app sites have basically become unusable crap for me. When I tried to find utility tools for my phone, 95% of results are either adware or hide behind paywalls. I feel bad for zoomers who don't have PC and are stucked inside the ocean full of shovelwares.

MylarBalloon123

Baby Onion

End of rant.
funny because the mainstream app sites have basically become unusable crap for me. When I tried to find utility tools for my phone, 95% of results are either adware or hide behind paywalls. I feel bad for zoomers who don't have PC and are stucked inside the ocean full of shovelwares.
based, I still use my 2016 PC build these days simply because nothing is worthwhile now. most of modern games are shit and even those that don't suck have "modern" game design bullshit in them.
What i don't like about modern software is, it tries too hard to think for you and limit your options. It also tries too hard to be new and innovative with distracting features that should be optional, made mandatory.

Case in point, I bought a laptop with Windows 11. Took me an entire day to unfuck it and disable dumb things and streamline everything. Had to get into the registry for a lot of it.

makes me wonder if anyone remembers Ken's Labyrinth or The Incredible Machine? I used to play those games.