Email troubles

notgivingmynametoamachine

Gamma Ray Powered
Baby Onion
You guys aware that Gmail seems to be blocking you? I had to create yet another throwaway email because of this.. Tried and waited for a few days, resent ver a bunch of times, couldn't get a single email through of any kind. I've seen this in other cases of blocking. Tried a different email service and it only took a few seconds to finish. You might want to check it out and or at least put an alert up on the registration page.

Secondly. You guys seriously need a way for people to contact staff directly when stuck in verification limbo. If I didn't already have an idea about what was going on, and looking around long enough to see others were successfully registering, I likely would have just given up. Can't imagine what a normie would do other than give up. The only good thing is that forum software a/o permissions allow you to be logged in and to change email pre-verification.

Last edited:

Gamma Ray Powered
Baby Onion
Gmail doesn't go through at all, not even in spam folder. I tried a few. Multiple resends. Over the course of a few days.

Proton takes email from here but flags them with a warning.

Yup.. It isn't marked as spam, it's just completely blocked. Like it doesn't even exists. I've seen and been seeing reports of this kind of thing happening more and more. What's the point of a mail system that picks and chooses who is allowed to send mail?! It is even happening with some bigger (mid-sized) sites too. Nutaku gets completely blocked by Yahoo. Yahoo refuses to do anything or even comment and I have much more faith in their CS than 'send every customer issue to official-unofficial self hosted forums' google. So I pity anyone trying to fix anything with them. :/

anongone

Definitely give this user root
Baby Onion
Google is now requiring remote mail servers to have SPF records at a minimum. These are implemented using DNS TXT records. The onionfarms.com domain does have a valid record, so as long as the email is being sent from one of the IP addresses and/or hosts that are specified as being allowed in the SPF policy for that domain, it should be fine.

Google also really likes to see DKIM and/or DMARC implemented. This one is a bit more complicated. DKIM requires some setup and a DNS TXT record to digitally sign email so that any mail servers that get mail from onionfarms.com can check that it did actually originate on a valid mail server for that domain.

I think they use HostGator, and HG does have a help page on that: https://www.hostgator.com/help/article/domainkeys-and-dkim

DMARC looks complicated, but it's just another way to tell remote mail servers what the domain's policy on reporting issues: https://dmarc.org/

Kenneth Erwin Engelhardt

Owner
I'm your friendly neighborhood skinwalker
Google is now requiring remote mail servers to have SPF records at a minimum. These are implemented using DNS TXT records. The onionfarms.com domain does have a valid record, so as long as the email is being sent from one of the IP addresses and/or hosts that are specified as being allowed in the SPF policy for that domain, it should be fine.

Google also really likes to see DKIM and/or DMARC implemented. This one is a bit more complicated. DKIM requires some setup and a DNS TXT record to digitally sign email so that any mail servers that get mail from onionfarms.com can check that it did actually originate on a valid mail server for that domain.

I think they use HostGator, and HG does have a help page on that: https://www.hostgator.com/help/article/domainkeys-and-dkim

DMARC looks complicated, but it's just another way to tell remote mail servers what the domain's policy on reporting issues: https://dmarc.org/
I will look into this.

Kenneth Erwin Engelhardt

Owner

See if it works now.

Burger Boy

Registered
You guys aware that Gmail seems to be blocking you? I had to create yet another throwaway email because of this.. Tried and waited for a few days, resent ver a bunch of times, couldn't get a single email through of any kind. I've seen this in other cases of blocking. Tried a different email service and it only took a few seconds to finish. You might want to check it out and or at least put an alert up on the registration page.

Secondly. You guys seriously need a way for people to contact staff directly when stuck in verification limbo. If I didn't already have an idea about what was going on, and looking around long enough to see others were successfully registering, I likely would have just given up. Can't imagine what a normie would do other than give up. The only good thing is that forum software a/o permissions allow you to be logged in and to change email pre-verification.

thank you thank you thank you i was being driven insane by the email not showing up please someone who runs this vegetable post this helpful info on the front page instead of the mockingly cruel post about posting when you need help when you can't post anything until verified but you need help verifying why did i spend more than 10 minutes trying to register for this at all :paytas:

Gamma Ray Powered
Baby Onion
Do you get updates through the mail when you want to watch a thread or reply to a conversation?

Assuming nothing's changed from before creating a new email with another service. No. I was registered for a while and watched a few (active) threads over that time and have no OF mail on my Gmail account what so ever. I tried resend verification a few times while testing again for you earlier as well. Still nothing.

thank you thank you thank you i was being driven insane by the email not showing up please someone who runs this vegetable post this helpful info on the front page instead of the mockingly cruel post about posting when you need help when you can't post anything until verified but you need help verifying why did i spend more than 10 minutes trying to register for this at all :paytas:

Happy to help.. And I know how you feel about that front page post. lol

Kenneth Erwin Engelhardt

Owner
Assuming nothing's changed from before creating a new email with another service. No. I was registered for a while and watched a few (active) threads over that time and have no OF mail on my Gmail account what so ever. I tried resend verification a few times while testing again for you earlier as well. Still nothing.

Happy to help.. And I know how you feel about that front page post. lol
I do get updates. Did you check your spam settings? Are there privacy controls that you may have clicked?

Gamma Ray Powered
Baby Onion
I do get updates. Did you check your spam settings? Are there privacy controls that you may have clicked?

I checked again and nothing in spam and I can't find any spam settings for gmail.. pretty sure they are all default only with no way to turn off. (fucking techbro minimalism and control freak mentality) The problem with testing this in general is that the forum software forces re-verification on email change, so i'm locked out of posting with the gmail address. I'll try again. Wait about ~5 minutes and reply to this.

Kenneth Erwin Engelhardt

Owner
I checked again and nothing in spam and I can't find any spam settings for gmail.. pretty sure they are all default only with no way to turn off. (fucking techbro minimalism and control freak mentality) The problem with testing this in general is that the forum software forces re-verification on email change, so i'm locked out of posting with the gmail address. I'll try again. Wait about ~5 minutes and reply to this.
When you change your email address you have to reverify. Let me check my settings.

Kenneth Erwin Engelhardt

Owner
Try it now.

Gamma Ray Powered
Baby Onion
When you change your email address you have to reverify. Let me check my settings.

Yeah. We should just be thankful that it's possible because a lot of software doesn't even let you login unconfirmed.
Also I noticed that notifications don't seem to work in an unconfirmed state. (they don't seem to on-site at least)

Try it now.

No, nothing still. Just let me know if/when you want me to try again.

God damn google making everything difficult and more crappy. :confused:

Kenneth Erwin Engelhardt

Owner
Yeah. We should just be thankful that it's possible because a lot of software doesn't even let you login unconfirmed.
Also I noticed that notifications don't seem to work in an unconfirmed state. (they don't seem to on-site at least)

You're right. I tried registering a dummy account with a google email address and the email verification is not coming through.

Kenneth Erwin Engelhardt

Owner

I just tried another dummy account with AOL Mail (a dinosaur) and it came through fine. I don't understand this.