Animes that don't suck

【VOID】

Retired Staff
Everyone watches an animu from time to time, but animu is like a dogshit minefield and for every 1 good show there are 100 terrible shows that are essentially just a tax on low testosterone.
Pics, clips, or synopses would be appreciated; I'll start.

Appleseed 1988
1663133577460.png

A lady and her pet robot endeavor to kill terrorists who hijack some doomsday weapon or something and want to blow up the earth for some reason.
The full movie is on youtube.

Subtitled for nerds

Dubbed for normal people

Freya

Freya and her familia raided and destroyed the Ishtar familia
Remarkable Onion
I bet whatever one my profile pic is from is pretty good. I got the pic from 4chan.

Niggo Fagetti

Registered
ayakashi and mononoke are very nice and stylized.

it's been recently announced that mononoke is getting a brand new, original story movie, in the first time the series has even been touched since like 2006. kusuriuri-san's original seiyuu is coming back for the movie and its bound to be spectacular

【VOID】

Retired Staff
Cyber City Oedo 808.
View attachment 19522

You can find all 3 episodes on YouTube.
Also, a bit more surface but Ghost in the Shell. Both movies, and the first two seasons of SAC.
I really enjoyed SAC, but I didn't care for 2nd Gig.
Black Rock Shooter: Downfall kind of reminded me of Ghost in the Shell a bit. A lot of people who liked the first one didn't like Downfall but I preferred it.

siteoforigin

Registered
I really enjoyed SAC, but I didn't care for 2nd Gig.
Black Rock Shooter: Downfall kind of reminded me of Ghost in the Shell a bit. A lot of people who liked the first one didn't like Downfall but I preferred it.

View attachment 19628
I'll check it out, and Appleseed. I keep forgetting to watch that.

As far as 2nd GIG, the over-arching plot is definitely not as good as the first season, but there are a lot of standalone episodes that make it worth watching imo.

Not enough minerals Not enough

minerals Not enough minerals Not enough minerals Not enough minerals Not enough minerals Not enough minerals Not enough minerals Not enough minerals Not enough minerals Not enough minerals Not enough minerals Not enough minerals Not enough minerals
Hellovan Onion
Morbius (2022)

Jetstream Sharpe

NOOO YOU CANT JUST DEMOLISH THE TWIN TOWERS WITH THERMITE AND KILL 3000 AMERICAN GOYIM AND BLAME IT ON FAKE TERRORISTS AND INVADE AFGHANISTAN AND THEN KILL EVEN MORE HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF AMERICANS WITH OPIUM WHILE LISTENING TO TOUCHED BY MBV - TH
Remarkable Onion

Slidey Boi

Modguin
Local Moderator
I'm of the opinion that anime's biggest sin is needless filler and padding, so you find a lot more quality for your time with movies and limited series than long-runners. Really no show can reasonably have 100+ episodes of good ideas, its just not going to happen, anime or not.

Most of these are not super mainstream as anime that requires you to have more than a room temperature IQ to enjoy don't tend to be popular.

Here's some that are available on Youtube:

Movies:

Angel's Egg: a deeply atmospheric, thought provoking short movie. It has only a few lines of dialogue, leaving much of what's happening open to interpretation. Definitely one to play if you are in the mood or something more intelligent. Apparently the creator was going through a crisis of faith, as a Christian struggling with doubt in his faith, when creating this.

Green Legend Ran: A little known anime movie that I saw at a young age and it stuck with me, I've never seen anything quite like it. It has this bizarre presence. A fascinating anime for sure, one that leaves you pondering some of its mysteries. Its got a lot of action and some good music too, so a lot more fast paced than most of these other ones.

Darkside Blues: I'm not really recommending this, but as you can probably tell, I love weird thought-provoking animation. So if you are a masochist for that and want something completely bizarre then check this out. I have no idea what is happening in this, but nobody ever remembers this movie exists besides me, so here you go.

One-shot

Goku Midnight Eye: I wish this series had been picked up, because this one-hour pilot is amazing from start to finish. A gritty, late-80s 'wicked city' style cyberpunk anime full of excessive violence and sexuality (shhh don't tell Youtube but there's nudity here).

Short Series:

One Outs: Written by the legendary author of Liar Game, this story is surprisingly about baseball (a subject I have almost zero interest or knowledge in) and manages to be one of the most compelling stories I've ever seen. Most of the episodes are brilliant with what they do with their setting and characters, there's no predicting this story.

If anyone's ever rented anime tapes/DVDs back in the late 90s/early 2000s you've probably seen this awesome promo music video by 'MANGA' showing off their anime properties, set to a badass KMFDM song:

Many of those are great anime recommendations too. But did you notice that one weird thing that wasn't an anime, 'The Secret Adventures of Tom Thumb'? Whelp, here it is if you're curious. Its definitely strange but not necessarily bad.

Empresa

Ladmin
Projekt Red created this wonderful world that they squirted a game out of , but im feeling this anime adaptation of a new character , rising up the ranks . classic rags to riches story.
Cyberpunk : Edgerunners
ezgif.com-gif-maker(45).gif

they got hackers and shit
ezgif.com-gif-maker(43).gif
ezgif.com-gif-maker(42).gif
a lot of violence paired excellently with metal music.

GloryHole Stalker

Man of Questionable Taste
Baby Onion
Being a boxing fan, I really enjoyed Hajime No Ippo. Of course It only got to 3 seasons while the manga has far surpassed it by a decade (not to mention that the main character has been "retired" for years now), and it seems highly unlikely at this point that they will ever do a season 4.